How to Test an Optocoupler

BMorse

Joined Sep 26, 2009
BMrose,
Thanks for the lead. I see LTV-816Shas 4 pins only whihch is just fine. Will look nto ot's cost tomorrow.

BTW, do the 6 pin ones have any major advantage over 4?
The only advantage I see in the 6 pin ones is the base lead for the transistor. I use 4 pin ones just because they take up less board space, plus the 4 pin ones, if you get the DIP style casing, you can plug 2 of them into an 8pin dip socket. (BTW, the part number I gave you is for surface mount, not through hole, but can still be easily soldered by hand....)

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
I use an M3 Electronics Semiconductor Analyzer with an external PC Board.

The unit is a kit that is available from M3, as well as the details for Opto Identification/testing board, all with the same little box.

It is very handy to have around, and in the kit form, relatively inexpensive. ID's and tests FETs, BJTs, SCRs, etc.

BMorse

Joined Sep 26, 2009
I use an M3 Electronics Semiconductor Analyzer with an external PC Board.

The unit is a kit that is available from M3, as well as the details for Opto Identification/testing board, all with the same little box.

It is very handy to have around, and in the kit form, relatively inexpensive. ID's and tests FETs, BJTs, SCRs, etc.

Would you happen to have a model/part number for reference???

quant

Joined May 21, 2009
that kit looks just great and a must have...thanks for the Ref., although when it comes to Optocoupler testing, the circuits provided by BMorse remain the simplest, easiest and the best choice since one could put the Optos to actual real use and check other aspects like their speeds and functionality etc., before committing to a brand.

Last edited:

quant

Joined May 21, 2009
For beginners like myself, here's a pin guide to the 6 Pin OC.

Also, BMorse, could you please include in your 4n2X circuit an LED or something so the real usage may be shown. I'm a little confused between the Test and the Output?

thanks

Attachments

BMorse

Joined Sep 26, 2009
For beginners like myself, here's a pin guide to the 6 Pin OC.

Also, BMorse, could you please include in your 4n2X circuit an LED or something so the real usage may be shown. I'm a little confused between the Test and the Output?

thanks

basically same setup as the 4 pin, except for the transistor manual test.... the switch allows you to test the transistor in the optocoupler without using the LED in it......

Attachments

quant

Joined May 21, 2009
Hello,

I have found the below circuit on how to connect a solenoid to an Arduino Duemilanove.
1- Based on our previous discussions, please advice if just changing the Q1 in the schematic which is a "TIP102" transistor, with my PC817(Arduino Digital Out after the 1K R going to pin 1 and pin 2 to Ground) should be OK?

appreciate your help as usual...

Attachments

BMorse

Joined Sep 26, 2009
I dont think the optocoupler will be able to handle the relay load, so you might want to keep the tip102 in place.... here is a simple sketch of how it can be connected.....

Attachments

quant

Joined May 21, 2009
Hi BMorse,

Great, I get it now, the PC817 will activate the TIP102(which is for industrial use ) that will turn on the Solenoid.

thank you for the advice and the circuit.

quant

Joined May 21, 2009
Hi BMorse,

In your Circuit,everything shares the same Ground? If so, then doesn't that break the isolation OK is supposed to provide?

thanks for your help

BMorse

Joined Sep 26, 2009
Hi BMorse,

In your Circuit,everything shares the same Ground? If so, then doesn't that break the isolation OK is supposed to provide?

thanks for your help

Yes it does, I was just showing how to hook it up with a common ground, but in reality, those should be separate circuits to offer the protection of the optocoupler....

Attachments

Last edited:

quant

Joined May 21, 2009
Yes, E-C-B (when viewing flat side) is a common pinout for transistors. It is nearly as common as E-B-C (2N2222, etc)
Thanks for the confirmation. I actually tested it with a Multimeter and E-C-B IS the only one which gives a 364 hFE reading.

best wishes

c0de3

Joined May 1, 2009
Yes it does, I was just showing how to hook it up with a common ground, but in reality, those should be separate circuits to offer the protection of the optocoupler....
This is great. I've been looking for examples of optocoupler use. Could you help me understand the two different grounds. I ran into a need for this a few weeks ago, and have trouble understanding.

Could you perhaps provide a real world example of what you would actually connect each of the grounds in your sample circuit to? Say for example the circuit is powered from 3 1.5v AAA batteries. I'm guessing the "LED" side of the coupler would ground to the - terminal on the battery. But what about the other side?

Thanks for any help!