how to simulate FSL Bus between Microblaze and coprocessor

makni

Joined Mar 6, 2014
Hi everybody,

I have connected a coprocessor to Microblaze in EDK through FSL.
My problem is in fsl data return; I do not get data from my ip from fsl.
I want to know how can I simulate the whole system (microblaze & coprocessor) and see what is happening on the FSL bus.

Thanks in advance.

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
You can use ISIM which is supplied with your ISE or you can use a 3rd party tool, such as Model Sim. You'll need all the source files. Hopefully you don't have any encrypted sources, or else it gets very complicated.

Another option for debugging is Chip Scope. You have access to it if you have a license with your ISE for it.

makni

Joined Mar 6, 2014
Thanks for your reply.

I have already verified the functionality of my module in ISE using ISIM and it works very well.
My problem is in the communication between Microblaze and my coprocessor, when I use the instruction getfsl (res,0), i always get 0 as result..

I want to know if there is a difference between chipscope and ISIM?, because I never used chipscope and I have no idea about it.

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
There is a big difference. Chip Scope is not a simulator. It uses resources within the device to create a logic analyzer and captures the signals that you specify. You use JTAG to read out the results and a logic analyzer 'like' interface, provided by the software to view them.

makni

Joined Mar 6, 2014
Thanks a lot for your reply.

In my case, my coporocessor is written in verilog, I have used ISIM within ISE to simulate it. but my whole system is in EDK.
When I have searched about chipscope, I found two methods to start with it:
-Using Xilinx ChipScope Pro ILA Core with ISE.
-Using ChipScope with Xilinx Platform Studio (XPS) within EDK.

My goal is to see what is happening on the FSL bus between Microblaze and my coprocessor. So, which method should I use?

Can you help me please.

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
Either way would work. I've never used the ILA core, so I can't comment on that. IMO, using chip scope within EDK would be a little easier.