How to show ADC results on 7segment display

ramses

Joined Nov 5, 2013
Hi,
i work on a range finder project. I need to help(source or suggestions) for displaying results of ADC( Analog to Digital Converter). I wonder how can i show ADC results on seven segment display. Is there any special integrated circuit for this situation?
Thanks

ramses

Joined Nov 5, 2013
The easiest way is through a BCD-to-7segments Decoder (e.g. a 4511 IC)

I need to show results in 2 or 3 digits seven segment display(results are bigger than 9). Is it possible to construct multi-digit 7segment display with 4511 IC without using any microcontroller or microprocessor??

adam555

Joined Aug 17, 2013
I need to show results in 2 or 3 digits seven segment display(results are bigger than 9). Is it possible to construct multi-digit 7segment display with 4511 IC without using any microcontroller or microprocessor??
You can also add a BCD counter to multiplex various digits. Like this...

I never tried it, so I'm not the best person to advice you; but you can find more info here: http://www.elecpod.com/circuit/lighting/2012/03287459.html

ramses

Joined Nov 5, 2013
I will use 8 bit ADC. SO I think that BCD to 7segment display is useless for the project. Results must be shown from 0 to 255. So i have to use 3 seven segment display. For this reason, can you suggest me any integrated circuit to drive 7segment display according to 8 bit?

BobTPH

Joined Jun 5, 2013
A 14-pin microcontroller could replace the ADC and all other chips, needing only 3 transistors for digit drivers to enable a 3 digit output. But then, you need to have the tools and experience to program it.

Bob

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Don't hold your breath waiting for a response-- the thread is more than two years dormant and the TS hasn't been seen in over a year. However, the TS (and other participants) should receive an e-mail notifying them of your post, so you can always keep your fingers crossed.