How to safely use a 100V appliance in a home with 120V power.

Ian0

Joined Aug 7, 2020
I come across them often enough - some snake-oil salesman got them installed in public buildings as a power saving device; and they play havoc with the emergency lighting systems as the mains voltage is permanently hovering around the "mains fail" threshold for emergency lighting; but they weren't called "buck boost transformers"

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
The ones I often used were simple step down transformers which when used in this fashion, were commononly referred to as either Buck or Boost depending on method used.

Ian0

Joined Aug 7, 2020
Where did we get the term “buck”? Is it a male rabbit or deer, or a dollar, or bucking the trend, or bucking like a mule? (though that seems more apt to describe a fly back converter)

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Where did we get the term “buck”? Is it a male rabbit or deer, or a dollar, or bucking the trend, or bucking like a mule? (though that seems more apt to describe a fly back converter)
One is most likely to relate a particular definition based on their particular work environment, custom of use and experience, for me, it was known as a common term in powering various industrial electrical/electronic devices .
In this respect, it is a perfectly viable description.