How to safely ground a 240v powder coat oven

JeremiahShelton

Joined Jan 28, 2016
I built a powder coat oven (thanks to several members here) it has 4 1200 watt electric burners, 4 lights, and a convection motor. So it has a LOT of wires running thru it and it is all metal. So i was thinking I should ground it. Would it be wise to attach the ground wire (I am using a 3 wire 240v cord) to the oven frame so the whole oven would be ground? Is this safe? I know almost nothing about electricity :)

Kermit2

Joined Feb 5, 2010
Use an ohm meter first to insure ALL metal panels and metal attachments are electrically connected together and show a consistent low ohm reading measured to the point of ground wire bonding. Don't want part of the oven to be electrically isolated from ground.

Dodgydave

Joined Jun 22, 2012
It should be Earthed anyway, but if you're not sure, test it with an ohm meter or continuity tester to the earth lead, and fit a RCD or other earth leakage detection device.

Last edited:

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
In general....All accessible dead metal parts that may become energized in a fault situation must be grounded..

Scares me that someone who knows nothing about electricity has been tasked to build an oven for professional use..
What else did they skimp on/overlook due to lack of knowledge..

JeremiahShelton

Joined Jan 28, 2016
In general....All accessible dead metal parts that may become energized in a fault situation must be grounded..

Scares me that someone who knows nothing about electricity has been tasked to build an oven for professional use..
What else did they skimp on/overlook due to lack of knowledge..

I would think that the point of this forum is to get the knowledge. I've built some awesome things that I didn't know how to build until after it was finished

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
I would think that the point of this forum is to get the knowledge. I've built some awesome things that I didn't know how to build until after it was finished
The devil is in the details..
99.99999% of posts on this and every forum lack sufficient details IMO..

And internet forum should not be used as a replacement for proper education and training..
It just scares me personally..
Proper grounding is a serious safety issue and must be done properly..

Have fun.. Don't die

JeremiahShelton

Joined Jan 28, 2016
The devil is in the details..
99.99999% of posts on this and every forum lack sufficient details IMO..

And internet forum should not be used as a replacement for proper education and training..
It just scares me personally..
Proper grounding is a serious safety issue and must be done properly..

Have fun.. Don't die

Thank you I won't die. I was just making the point that I don't need proper training as an electrician to build something amazing as long as I ask the right questions. I have a great job, I don't want to be an electrician. If everyone had "proper training" then forums like this wouldn't exist.

JeremiahShelton

Joined Jan 28, 2016
Thats the BIG part..
If you have no/little experience you can't possibly know the "right" questions to ask..
But it appears I asked the right question, and had it promptly answered, and I appreciate those who answered very much. It's just ironic to me that someone who has chosen to go by the nomenclature mcgyr can find fault with someone trying to learn how to "do it themselves"

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
But it appears I asked the right question, and had it promptly answered, and I appreciate those who answered very much. It's just ironic to me that someone who has chosen to go by the nomenclature mcgyr can find fault with someone trying to learn how to "do it themselves"
The oven is "built" and NOW you are asking about grounding like it just dawned on you..
Grounding (and bonding) are something that should be designed in from the start..

Again.. I really don't care and didn't intend to turn this into anything but my initial side comment..
Its just scary how many people "dabble" with electricity before knowing anything about it.. thats it.. no more from me..

JeremiahShelton

Joined Jan 28, 2016
The oven is "built" and NOW you are asking about grounding like it just dawned on you..
Grounding (and bonding) are something that should be designed in from the start..

Again.. I really don't care and didn't intend to turn this into anything but my initial side comment..
Its just scary how many people "dabble" with electricity before knowing anything about it.. thats it.. no more from me..[/QUOTE

No it's not built, but it is in progress. Building the frame was ten times more work than doing the wiring which will take a small fraction of the time. I am starting the wiring now which is why I asked. And as for dabbling I have a six foot waterfall in my living room which I built years ago, which has performed flawlessly. You have confused being humble with being stupid which is obviously your downfall