How to run a Stepper Motor

palauan73

Joined Apr 12, 2012
Do you need to have a microcontroller hooked up to the Stepper Motor, or can you run it just plugged into a DC power source? If so, how do you hook up a 4 wire Stepper Motor to a DC power source?

CVMichael

Joined Aug 3, 2007
You need a stepper motor driver like a L298 (for example), and also a L297 is a stepper motor controller that connects to the L298.

Do a search for both, and see what you can find.

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
Do you need to have a microcontroller hooked up to the Stepper Motor, or can you run it just plugged into a DC power source? If so, how do you hook up a 4 wire Stepper Motor to a DC power source?
A stepper motor requires that the drive signals to each of its four drive lines be time sequenced correctly to result in motor shaft rotation. Just connecting a DC signal to any one of the four lines of your unipolar stepper motor will not result in motor rotation.

hgmjr

chrisw1990

Joined Oct 22, 2011
have you tried a google? i found this which while it is tailored to a specific chip, details some of the methods of driving, the signals at least.. a starting point perhaps.
you can do it through XOR gates. i can find the schematic if you require, but you will still need a driver chip like the earlier suggested IC just to boost the signal to the current required.
if i knew the motor, i could help you more.
in addition, as a p.s.: if you like..
the "boosting" neednt be done by an IC if your motor requires more current, but can be done by a MOSFET arrangement if done correctly.