how to rotate a metallic rod in clock and anti-clockwise directions

shaheer khan

Joined Nov 20, 2012
We are working on a project, in which a metallic rod (shaft) need to rotate in clock wise and anti-clockwise (Say 10 degree to both sides) at very faster rate to achieve a penetrating vibrational effect. Our main challanges are,

1) This product need to take higher torque and hence may need effective gear system which is capable of rorating both sides.
2) This has to be a cost effective one. Hence we are unable to use the Stepper motor and all.

It will be appriciated if you could suggest some approches to proceed on this.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Ten-degree oscillation is not a lot and hence this should be easy to do.

Use an ordinary high speed DC motor with a small disc or short arm mounted to the axle.
On the disc or arm is a small post or freewheel bearing mounted off centre.
A freewheel bearing is better for reduced friction and minimal wear.

This small wheel is inserted into a long slot in another wheel on the shaft that you wish to rotate.

I can provide a drawing if this is not clear.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Not surprising with words like:

We are working on a project, in which a metallic rod (shaft) need to rotate in clock wise and anti-clockwise (Say 10 degree to both sides) at very faster rate to achieve a penetrating vibrational effect. Our main challanges are,

1) This product need to take higher torque and hence may need effective gear system which is capable of rorating both sides.
2) This has to be a cost effective one. Hence we are unable to use the Stepper motor and all.

It will be appriciated if you could suggest some approches to proceed on this.
Looks like we'll soon see a new clause in the TOS.

Kirtho

Joined Jan 18, 2011
Core sampler? Masonry drill? Oddly enough I am working on something that swings an iron bar back and forth a few degrees. Right now I'm using electric eyes to spot the ends of the swing and I may switch to a chip that detects the angle using a magnetic field. Mouser has it for about a dollar. It's the KMZ41. The first generation of the design used actual electrical contact between the bar and the ends of bolts that I use as bumpers. The second generation is the electric eye. The third generation will probably be angle detection using a Hall effect sensor which will be very precise and may be cheaper.

I actually am making a piece of iron swing back and forth, although this generation rides on a shaft and isn't attached to it. If I made a longer shaft and attached it to the bar, I would have what Shaheer is talking about.