How to reverse an AC, 2 speed PSC motor

herynkc

Joined Jul 5, 2012
When powered on the motor spins clockwise, however I would ideally like to set it up with a 3 position (cw-off-ccw) switch. I bought this motor from Ebay and was told that it is reversible, but am not sure how to do so without burning it out... The wires coming from the motor are black(high speed) red(low) white(neutral) and brown (cap). I have attached the only diagram I have for the motor. From what I've been reading, its direction can be reversed by opening the motor and switching around the start winding and run swinding. I have no idea how to do this. Is these an easier, possibly less complicated solution? Thanks in advance.

Attachments

herynkc

Joined Jul 5, 2012
Can I just switch the connection of the white wire with that of the brown wire? does that do the same thing? or do I have to open the motor up to switch it? Sorry for the confusion, I'm not much of an electrician.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
I just wired one of these PSC motors up for fwd/rev operation but it was only a single speed model. I have attached an excerpt from the manual of the motor I installed, which shows how to reverse the single speed model. I assume that the only thing needed in your case is a second switch to select between high and low but keep in mind it's just an assumption, I've never actually wired one of these. The drawing below the line is one I've modified to show the reversing and high/low switches how I think it should be wired.

If anybody who's done this before would chime in, I would feel better.

Attachments

Dodgydave

Joined Jun 22, 2012
You have to open it up, and reverse the field windng between the BROWN AND WHITE. Its capacitor run motor i have done these before.

Last edited:

herynkc

Joined Jul 5, 2012
You have to open it up, and reverse the field windng between the BROWN AND WHITE. Its capacitor run motor i have done these before.
I tried opening up both the front and the back but nowhere inside can I see somewhere that I can switch connections. seems like the wires just run into the coils. I really don't want to take the entire thing apart as I dont have any idea what I'm doing. Not trying to break it and have to buy another.

Strantor, I tried to wire as you recommended and it does reverse the direction of the motor! However when going counterclockwise I can only get the motor to run at slow speed.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
Strantor, I tried to wire as you recommended and it does reverse the direction of the motor! However when going counterclockwise I can only get the motor to run at slow speed.
After posting that, I though about it, and I figured you would run into that problem. I don't know how to get around it.

In reference to what you and dodgydave are talking about, I think you are hung up on terminology. Forget about 'opening up' anything; you're already doing that with the circuit I posted. I don't think he meant you need to physically open up the motor, just 'open' the connections before switching, which you are doing.

Dodgydave

Joined Jun 22, 2012
When powered on the motor spins clockwise, however I would ideally like to set it up with a 3 position (cw-off-ccw) switch. I bought this motor from Ebay and was told that it is reversible, but am not sure how to do so without burning it out... The wires coming from the motor are black(high speed) red(low) white(neutral) and brown (cap). I have attached the only diagram I have for the motor. From what I've been reading, its direction can be reversed by opening the motor and switching around the start winding and run swinding. I have no idea how to do this. Is these an easier, possibly less complicated solution? Thanks in advance.

Have a look here your motor is number 3 a capacitor start/run motor.
http://www.lmphotonics.com/single_phase_m.htm

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
Have a look here your motor is number 3 a capacitor start/run motor.
http://www.lmphotonics.com/single_phase_m.htm
I've never seen them called "capacitor start/run motor"; the term I'm used to seeing is "Permanent Split Capacitor" motor. In any case, his motor differs in that it's 2 speed, and by looking at the simplified diagram he posted, it looks like they achieve this by making one of the windings center-tapped.