how to remove push on terminals?

bumclouds

Joined May 18, 2008
Hey folks,

I'm trying to pull off a push-on terminal which is in an old light im scrapping for repairs.

But no matter how hard i pull, the terminal *wont* come off. It's infuriating..

It looks a lil bit like this:

But with white plastic insulation around it. I think it must require some kind of tool or technique to unlock it.

Can anyone help?

Andrew

mbxs3

Joined Oct 14, 2009
If it is crimped then the only way to get it apart will be to cut it off. If you are scrapping it, why not cut it off anyways?

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

There is no tool to unlock them.
The connectors are pressed on the cable.

Normaly you just cut the cable just behind the push-on terminal.

You could try to remove the plastic with a knive
and try to open the crimp part with some screwdriver (maybe you can see a slit).
Be carefull not to hurt yourself.

Greetings,
Bertus

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
If you are talking about getting the terminal off its mating spade, sometimes there is a small indent that can make removal difficult. I just use a screwdriver or a tool like a screwdriver with the tip is bent over to make something that looks like a tiny hoe to pry them loose.

John

bumclouds

Joined May 18, 2008
If you are talking about getting the terminal off its mating spade, sometimes there is a small indent that can make removal difficult. I just use a screwdriver or a tool like a screwdriver with the tip is bent over to make something that looks like a tiny hoe to pry them loose.

John

That's exactly what was there!! There's a little hole on the male part, and a little bit sticking out of the female spade part.. in the end i hacked at it with a little screwdriver and it finally let loose. Not the most elegant way, but it worked. Thanks guys.