How to remove IGBT / Mosfet attached with thermal adhesive / glue from heatsink?

benphillips

Joined Mar 29, 2019
I am having trouble removing these IGBT's from their heatsink. I have tried using a razor blade, screwdriver and a pair of pliers to twist them off. No luck. Is there some kind of heated tool for removing these?

narkeleptk

Joined Mar 11, 2019
Yes, look up "Soldering iron"....
If 1 iron is not heating it enough you can try 2 irons or my favorite 1 iron w/ knife tip + hot air. Either should do it just fine.

Last edited:

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
When a razor fails, you can often use a fine wire. Much less drag. That's how sealed windshields are removed. I use 0.020 SS safety wire. Even finer gauges are available. You could also pass current through the wire, but that also weakens the wire.

Can you cut the leads and remove the heatsink and components in one group? That will allow access to the back side and more options for heating.

benphillips

Joined Mar 29, 2019
I have some 0.1mm fine hard wire thats used to separate a digitizer from a LCD. I tried but couldnt get it to slide under the chip. If the wire was heated I think it would work. I might have to remove the heatsink like you say. I'm going to see if a soldering iron on the back side of the heatsink will heat enough to remove it.

narkeleptk

Joined Mar 11, 2019
If its just thermal adhesive holding it I think you'd have better luck using hot air over an iron. I was on my phone earlier so I thought it was soldered for some reason. If you don't have hot air on a rework station you can use this type from somewhere like home depot (about $20)
wen-heat-guns-hg1022-64_1000.jpg

Make sure to shield the rest of the device with kapton tape or aluminum foil. Soaking the area with acetone, goo-off or wd40 will likeley help as well. Snip the leads first. You can try using a flat square razor if you want or try just twisting it off with pliers while heating.