How to produce sound

kakadas

Joined Jun 11, 2013
Hello,

I'm a beginner when it comes to electronics, though I know a thing or two from the physics course.What I have is this: a speaker, a battery and a coil. Is it possible to connect the three together so that I could create a somewhat of a sound wave that would sound just like a note.

To my current understanding, if You connect a coil to a DC, the changing current in the coil should generate an electromagnetic field which would induce an opposite current. In result, the "main" current would increase "gently" (become an AC (?) ), in my theory creating a sound wave from a hooked speaker.

If You see a mistake in my thoughts, please post the correct explanation of what do I need to do to produce sound. Thank You for Your time.

gerty

Joined Aug 30, 2007
Are you talking about putting the coil in series with the speaker?
I don't see how you'll get ac from this parts list.

Shagas

Joined May 13, 2013
If you want to make sound you will need oscillation of some sort.
If you want oscillation then you will need some sort of amplifying element , for example a transistor
You can make very simple oscillators using a few resistors , capacitors/coils and a transistor

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
What is the size and voltage of the battery?
What is the impedance and wattage of the speaker?

If you get some hookup wire and just connect the speaker to the battery making random connections you will hear crackling sound from the speaker.

Wait until you answer my questions before doing this otherwise you are at risk of blowing the speaker.

tubeguy

Joined Nov 3, 2012
First thing, forget about the coil. A coil in series with the battery will produce a 'pop' or 'click'. A 'note" or tone as you understand, is an AC or alternating frequency.

As suggested, to produce a note or tone, an oscillator operating in the audible frequency range is needed. A sine wave oscillator provides the purest tone.

Last edited: