How to print useful special characters such as Ω, µ and so on (THIS IS NOT A QUESTION). Problematic with Win10.

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
In Windows OS:
While pressing and holding the ALT key, enter the following to print a special character:
224 α
225 ß
228 Σ
229 σ
230 μ
231 τ
234 Ω
236 ∞
238 ε
239 ∩
241 ±
242 ≥
243 ≤
246 ÷
247 ≈
248 °
251 √
Attached is a full list of these and other special characters.

On a Mac OS:
While pressing and holding the [option] key type the following letter for its result:
W or small w = ∑
O = Ø
K or small k = ˚
X or small x = ≈
V or small v = √
y = ¥
o = ø
p = π
s = ß
f = ƒ
j = ∆
z = Ω
m = µ
< = ≤
> = ≥
/ = ÷
(Shift Option) Plus key = " ± "

The attached .doc file contains a complete list of key strokes for both Windows and Mac.

Attachments

Last edited:

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
While pressing and holding the ALT key, enter the following to print a special character
Doesn't work for me either (Win10, Lenovo laptop).
Windows Character Map gives copy-and-paste access to an even wider range of symbols and foreign alphabet characters. I keep a link to the Map on my toolbar.

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
crutschow are you using windows or mac?

The key is to hold the ALT key while you press the number 2, then the 3, then the 4 for the Ω symbol. As soon as you let go of the ALT key the symbol should appear. On the Mac, it's simply press and hold the OPTION key and type the z key (lower case) for the Ω.

I DID have to do a little editing on my first post.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
It works for me on Win10 as long as I use the keypad, not the top row digits.
Using a windows certified keyboard.
Edit: Windows states only works when under numeric keyboard enabled
Max.

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
Yeah, it's working on my 10 too.

[edit] OK, wait - - - ALT 230 produces the µ, But when I space or return it changes to M. I might have auto correct on. Still messing with it.

[edit #2] OK, this is why I don't like Win10. It's translating greek when I don't want it to. And I don't know how to turn it off. Not asking. Not interested. My 10 is supposed to only run my Hantek o-scope.

[end edits]

Last edited:

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
You forgot π ALT 227 for windoze

And for some reason ASCII never implemented Delta so the accepted substitute is .: period colon

Last edited:

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
Hmmm not me Ω

If you search for ASCII characters and extended ASCII you will find at least 2 different versions. Some work on different computers. So try the alternate code... which I don't have on hand for Ω

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
Actually, ASCII predates Microsoft but they do incorporate the usage in their software.

From WIKI
ASCII was developed from telegraph code. Its first commercial use was as a seven-bit teleprinter code promoted by Bell data services. Work on the ASCII standard began on October 6, 1960,

Was using ASCII created graphical menus before the advent of windows back when computers were command-line operated on CRTs.