How to print useful special characters such as Ω, µ and so on (THIS IS NOT A QUESTION). Problematic with Win10.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
While the ALT key only works with a keypad and most laptops don't have a separate keypad, many laptops do have an embedded keypad that is accessible via the Fn key. These keyboard generally have the numeric pad symbols printed on the keys in a subdued manner. On my Toshiba is it the box of keys with the '7', '0', 'M' and '/' at the corners. So to get Ω I hold down the ALT and Fn keys while pressing 'k', 'l', 'u' in sequence.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Hmmm not me Ω

If you search for ASCII characters and extended ASCII you will find at least 2 different versions. Some work on different computers. So try the alternate code... which I don't have on hand for Ω
ASCII is a 7-bit code that is highly standardized. But "extended ASCII" is an 8-bit code that has never been standardized and there are many, many (dozens, if not hundreds) versions, though a few handful dominate. NEVER rely on any form of extended ASCII unless you KNOW that the system your code is running on will never change ever again.

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
Extended ASCII has been superseded mostly by UTF-8. That variable width encoding standard is based on 1-4 8 bit values. It is used on almost all web pages and often in English based databases.

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
they do make keyboards for the iPad
Yes, as you said, they DO. I have connected, via bluetooth, a keyboard to my iPad.
It's a WORD function, not a Windows function
True. But the way Windows and Mac run, the method is a little different.
Then there is the cut-and-paste solution
Sure, there is. But I find a quick tap of the [option] key and the character I want is faster and easier than hunting for a special character. If I can't find a character I want then I'll go hunting.

Must say I didn't expect this much conversation over this thread.