How to prevent line voltage drop of Batteries

edliu

Joined Feb 22, 2011
Hi,

I have a question. What can I do to be able to substain a nominal voltage of 48V input from a Lithium polymer batteries of 12 of them in series(12S). I believe that after a certain usage, the voltage will drop to below 48V. However, my equipment needs to be on constant 48V input.

Please advise me on how I can achieve it.

Thanks!!!

Ctenom

Joined Nov 1, 2010
Buck boost converters take a lower voltage and increase it. However i believe Kermits idea is a much better one. how much power are you expecting to draw? Have you got low voltage protection for your battery? I wouldn't take a lipo cell below 3.0-3.5v (40v in your configuration) after that it gets dangerous. Also make sure they are all brand new and of the same make and model purchased at the same time. Ideally i would have something monitoring EVERY cell. Four/five 12v lead acid batteries would be better if used with Kermits idea

russ_hensel

Joined Jan 11, 2009
How does this boost converter help? Please advise
A buck boost can both step down and up. As a switching converter it does not dissapate energy as heat ( compared to a linear regulator ). Thus you may not need as many cells and batteries stay useful even after the voltage sags below the required voltage.