How to orientate these Potentiometers?

JDR04

Joined May 5, 2011
Can anybody please tell me how to connect the pots in the following schematics?

I'm assuming the centre/common pin of the pot is connected to pin 7 in the first schematic?

I'm going to have a go at building a thermostat for my biltong box.

Again I'm assuming that the centre/common pin of the pot is also connected to one of its "other" pins in the second schematic?

I know assuming in electronics can be costly so any information from this forum will be appreciated. Many thanks JDR04 :confused:

Attachments

PeeSeeBee

Joined Jun 17, 2011
The pot in the first diagram is also connected the same way as the ones in the second diagram. As well as the wiper (centre connection), one end of the pot also connects to pin 7. They are all wired as variable resistors (rather than potentiometers).

So, yes, you are correct. The centre connection (wiper) also connects to one side of the pot.

debjit625

Joined Apr 17, 2010
I'm assuming the centre/common pin of the pot is connected to pin 7 in the first schematic?
Again I'm assuming that the centre/common pin of the pot is also connected to one of its "other" pins in the second schematic?
Yes you are right in both the case.
I know assuming in electronics can be costly
Yes,but thats how we all learn sometimes....

Good Luck

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
You should really post the entire schematic.

Sometimes, people draw schematics without thought as to what might happen if pot(s) wired as rheostats were set to their minimum values; a frequent result is smoke. :eek: Hopefully, your schematic does not have errors like that, but it would be best to let us have a look before you try wiring it up.