How to open a file with string through USB?

K.Flynn

Joined Jun 29, 2011
I am trying to open a file (like a picture) by sending a null terminated string from a microcontroller through a USB to my computer. The only command that I have available to send to the PC is: "_SendString232" or

uchar _SendString232 (long ptr)

There is a "terminal" in the IDE(integrated dev. environment) which connects to the microcontroller and receives the "_SendString232 " correctly and prints the string. I don't know if I might be able to use this to my advantage because it is running within the IDE. The USB is D-type(connected to micro-controller) to A-type which is connected to the computer.

Microcontroller:
Company: VeeaR
Model: VoiceGP DK-T2SI

Is there a program that can get the info from the USB and then open the desired file? Can I write a program ( e.x. in Microsoft Visual Studio or other environment) that gets info from the USB then have that program open a file?

I emphatically thank you for your help!

My computer specs:
64-bit Dell with Windows 7 OS.

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
Sounds like you are looking at the PC side. I peeked into the USB driver download and it looks like the device is installed as a virtual COM port, meaning you may be able to communicate with it over any COMM object that can access serial ports.

See if you can get Hyperterminal to connect and get a spam of data back when you send a picture. If so, then that's your interface.