How to measure vibration of apartment floor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carey123

Joined Dec 24, 2020
Hi all, how to measure vibration of apartment floor or who can provide testing services(Ottawa).The vibration may caused by a motor installed above the floor. I need the result can directly reflect the vibration’s frequency or record it as an evidence.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Hi all, how to measure vibration of apartment floor or who can provide testing services(Ottawa).The vibration may caused by a motor installed above the floor. I need the result can directly reflect the vibration’s frequency or record it as an evidence.
In a trial? If trial, will it be in what we call small claims/landlord tenant or a court with attorneys? In small claims/landlord tenant, you may get by with such evidence you collect. If in front of an attorney, you will be questioned as to time, date, and place (e.g., time stamps and witness). Of course, your testimony still matters, but having a 3rd party is even better. That 3rd party, if qualified, can give an opinion; you cannot as you are a party. Amplitude itself is not an opinion; what it means is. Wiggles on a screen or recording will need to be interpreted. Does it make enough noise to be recorded?

Are you sure you need additional evidence? I can imagine that a vibrating motor in an apartment above you can be very annoying, but maybe there are other solutions.

BobTPH

Joined Jun 5, 2013
Hi all, is there any way to measure vibration of apartment floor, the vibration may caused by a motor installed under the floor.
I have tried several vibration meter apk for android mobile phone, but their results can not directly reflect the vibration's frequency or record it as an evidence.
I'd be appreciated if anyone could recommend any better ways for such measurement.
From Jan 2019. If this is not the same poster two years kater, I will eat my hat.

Bob

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Seems to me a simple speaker would do it. Pressed against the floor it would record frequency and amplitude. You could match both using a flat board and calibrating it to a known quantity.

bassbindevil

Joined Jan 23, 2014
If you need evidence for a court case, you might get away with renting a calibrated vibration analyzer for a few hundred bucks, but the safest would be to hire an expert to take measurements and prepare a report, then testify in court.

ScottWang

Joined Aug 23, 2012
Since the TS has no any further reply and the replies from members became more Off-Topic, so this thread will be locked unless the TS reguest to open it.

Status
Not open for further replies.