How to measure vibration of apartment floor

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
A few days ago my wife and I were in a large hospital building. The room we were in was beside an elevator equipment room. We could feel (sense) the vibrations of the elevator systems. I thought about this thread. :)

Ron

exelf

Joined Sep 22, 2008
It is possible that a human activity enters in vertical resonance with the structure. A "well known" case is given, for a 39 story building at https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0141029613004471

You should be able to measure the frequency with a laser beam light fixed on the wall (the wall is assumed to be "fix") with the laser beam ray as parallel as possible to the floor, but hitting it at it middle long span (if you prefer, have the laser beam as low as possible but intercepting the middle of the floor). The intersection of almost two parallel lines (the floor and the laser ray) is highly dependent of the exact slope of either line. So, under a floor in vibration, you should be able to see the laser spot on the floor moving back and forth the center of the floor. You should so be able to get the frequency with a light detector (the laser hitting and leaving to hit again, moment later, the light detector), or counting the frames from a movie you would have recorded, having the frame rate of the camera.
Hi vanderghast, thank you very much for providing such a smart idea, and it seems quite practical and visualized.
I will try your method when all necessary items are obtained.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
In order to document the issue you might want to try one of the vibration monitoring apps. Some of them can record data so you could get the frequency and time for the vibrations.

I just installed one. Surprisingly sensitive. Picked up me tapping my foot while the phone was on the table.

exelf

Joined Sep 22, 2008
I just installed one. Surprisingly sensitive. Picked up me tapping my foot while the phone was on the table.
Thanks for your attention. I also tried several vibration monitoring apps, and have recorded data by using some of them.
These apps developers really contribute much to public.

Last edited:

Pieper

Joined Jul 17, 2019
Have you heard of a Bass Shaker and:eek:r Butt Kicker? I leave on the 2nd floor end unit with hard wood floors (adjoining living room neighbor has carpet)and have been battling bad vibration issues for approx.6 months now due to these 2 type of devices.

My very inconsiderate neighbor has denied to the office ( I own he rents and I complain/report to a HOA) that he has any gaming type or vibration causing THINGS! Due to the fact these are generally placed under couches etc they have gone undetected when the women in the office (who were looking for a gaming chair, XBox etc. and never heard of a b. k. etc) inspected his apt not once but twice. Being that only 1 guy was on the lease but 3 actually live there (they are illegal immigrants from India and hid in the attic undetected also the vibration went on 24/7!! I tried vibration measuring apps, the cup of water trick etc.

All of which showed vibration happening but was unsuccessful in proving my case because 1) they would turn it off ( these things are silent)when someone came up the stairs 2) because I was told they could not determine % which unit the vibration was coming from‍♀..My Don put the vibration eliminating pads under my bed legs etc. Nothing helped!! With all this being said I do hope that after you finally can prove that you have a vibration issue in your unit at your landlord won’t tell you the same thing I was told. This was the short version by the way‍♀

Pieper

Joined Jul 17, 2019
A PZM microphone + recording in Audacity has to work well.

What would you connect this to? I am thinking of a different type application like to prove there are 3 people not 1 living next to me which is why my vibration issue is 24/7 and that Im not going insane and hearing voices that speak a foreign language when the neighbor on the least is not home. Sorry if you read my reply to the just of the original thread this will make better sense..Thx Pieper

Externet

Joined Nov 29, 2005
I would attach to the wall and connect to a computer mic-in and record on Audacity or other application to obtain a graphical and audio waveform recorded, then print screen. Looks like :