how to measure neck movement?

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Which axes are you trying to measure movement?
1) "yes" head nod
2) "no" head shake
3) left/right head wobble with no rotation of neck (ears to shoulder alternating left/right)

Once we have that, please provide degree of accuracy - 1 degree, 10 degree or simply "on" until user stops tilting / rotating on the given axis?

We also need a timescale for how quickly the measurement must be made (e.g. measuring impacts like accidents and sports injuries, controlling a device like a wheel chair, or static like measuring range of motion in a clinic setting).

Finally, describe how you envision the user (measuree) interacting with the measurement device. Will it be full neck brace / clamp, will it be a flex wire / cable for each axis, or something like a Christopher Reeves straw in the mouth to activate a remote sensor (not attached to the neck)

You can't just keep asking for ideas without describing some baseline design goals.

Also, what does this thing Doooo? We may have a better idea for you all together!

Last edited:

hvc123

Joined Aug 2, 2012
i don't know y are you not understanding my question..... :-?
ok.. i describe from the starting...
i have to make a project, in which i want to make a robot that moves according to the head motion. A normal robot: that's object is only movement like left, right, forward and backward. i need nothing else. so identically the head will work as a remote. as head tilts backward then robot will moves back side. same for right , left side and forward.

hvc123

Joined Aug 2, 2012
Here's an idea - tell us why my first two suggestions don't work for you.

You said you want to measure neck position. That would normally require at least 3 axes, plus a lot more if you want absolute position and not just relative position. Then you mentioned a joystick, which is generally a 2D device.

My point is, we don't know what you need. Size, cost, weight, power supply, technical requirements. These are all needed to produce a design.
ok.. i describe from the starting...
i have to make a project, in which i want to make a robot that moves according to the head motion. A normal robot: that's object is only movement like left, right, forward and backward. i need nothing else. so identically the head will work as a remote. as head tilts backward then robot will moves back side. same for right , left side and forward.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Simple, you didn't explain what you needed and we cannot read your mind.

OK, so you want to turn a human head into a traditional, 2-axis joystick. One issue I see is the rotation of the neck; for instance if I'm looking over my left shoulder and put my chin down onto my shoulder - as opposed to my chest if I was looking forward - what should happen? I think rotation should be ignored?

An accelerometer such as the one in many laptops and smartphones would work well, and using a pre-made solution would solve many of the technical hurdles - power supply, software, etc. You could probably teach a smartphone to send accelerometer data out over its bluetooth radio.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Why don't you answer as many of the questions as possible that I asked above (SEE POST #22). How do you envision this device to interact with the person whose neck position is getting measured? Do you expect to read it remotely or do you expect some type of collar on the person that can turn potentiometers, hall sensors or even pressure sensors if a pneumatic systems is used? Or do you want it to work like a Microsoft Kinect where gestures are sensed from a video camera? Please review my previous questions and ANSWER THEM instead of asking why we don't understand. They are simple but require you to at least PARTICIPATE to some degree in imaging how this can work because, as someone said above, WE CANNOT READ YOUR MIND. We have been polite enough to be interested in your project, please be kind enough to describe your view of the limitations and design requirements of your project so we can help you.

hvc123

Joined Aug 2, 2012
Why don't you answer as many of the questions as possible that I asked above (SEE POST #22). How do you envision this device to interact with the person whose neck position is getting measured? Do you expect to read it remotely or do you expect some type of collar on the person that can turn potentiometers, hall sensors or even pressure sensors if a pneumatic systems is used? Or do you want it to work like a Microsoft Kinect where gestures are sensed from a video camera? Please review my previous questions and ANSWER THEM instead of asking why we don't understand. They are simple but require you to at least PARTICIPATE to some degree in imaging how this can work because, as someone said above, WE CANNOT READ YOUR MIND. We have been polite enough to be interested in your project, please be kind enough to describe your view of the limitations and design requirements of your project so we can help you.
i am really sorry... :-(
1) i want to measure tilting of head in right, left, seeing above and seeing below
2) whenever head tilts in any of this 4 direction, my motor will be on and wheels may move in that appropriate direction
3) i m thinking to use flex sensor (bend sensor). it may attach to the neck of the person. whenever the head tilts,the sensor attached to the neck will bend and give resistance change. it may be increase in resistance. and this change is used to drive the motor.
am i thinking in right direction??

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
3) i m thinking to use flex sensor (bend sensor). it may attach to the neck of the person.
I think this will be difficult, since the bend sensor will not be at the center of the axis of rotation. That is, skin stretches but the strip won't. Maybe if the end is free to move.

In-plane rotation - looking left and right - will be a problem too.

hvc123

Joined Aug 2, 2012
its just a strip. if i placed it vertically to neck. when i bend the neck, the strip will bend and it will give the resistance change and thus voltage change.

hvc123

Joined Aug 2, 2012
I think this will be difficult, since the bend sensor will not be at the center of the axis of rotation. That is, skin stretches but the strip won't. Maybe if the end is free to move.

In-plane rotation - looking left and right - will be a problem too.
its just a strip. if i placed the sensor vertically to the neck, when i bend the neck strip will bend. and it will give resistance change and thus voltage change.

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
Put an old Droid in a hat, so that it's always facing forward.

Then the robot can be controlled by moving phone in hand, or turning head if mounted in hat.

Even the original Droids, which can be found cheap now, have a full IMU. It's just a matter of sending the output over Bluetooth to the receiving device.

There's already quadcopters that use this control method, tweaking into a hat version wouldn't be insurmountable if you can write code.

It's the closest thing I can think of, that would end up costing less than a separate power supply, processor, and sensors, not to mention much more comfy to use.