How to make the stepper motor more smooth

LowQCab

Joined Nov 6, 2012
Chinese-Junk gets used for simple projects all the time,
that doesn't necessarily mean that I like it, or would use it myself.

I can't understand what You seem to be so jacked-up about.
Why the baseless attack ?, I've done nothing to You.
This stuff doesn't belong in the Forum.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
One thing vital to anything close to smooth operation is the correct sequence. That sequence shown in post#11 can not be smooth because it shows both coils changing polarity between steps.
The effect of an incorrect sequence can not be ignored, and that does not depend on the quality of motor or driver.
So the very first thing is to assure that the sequence is correct at every point, only reversing the polarity of one coil per step.
And again, adding some reduction to the drive chain will result in smoother motion. Either gear reduction or non-elastic belt reduction will provide improvement. Why ignore the simple and obvious solution??

camerart

Joined Feb 25, 2013
Hello

I am trying to built small conveyor, that will move PI camera using:

-raspberry PI
-stepper motor nema 17
-A4998 stepper motor
-gt2 belt

The base that the motor is moving is 3d printed ,around 100 gram and the belt is stretch.

The problem is that I think its pretty noisy and I want to reduce it.

I understand that I can do it via Microstepping (I operate the motor with full step), but, when I try the motor is glitching.

Also in the code I'm using delay between the step of 0.001 sec and when I try to increase/reduce it also glitching or doesn't turning.

How can I find or compute the best setup?? taking in account that I need more accuracy and quiet then speed and loud.

Regards,
Hi E,
Has anyone mentioned 1/2 stepping or Micro stepping yet?
Instead of straight forward stepping beteen STEPS, there are ways to step between the steps, so with 1/2 stepping two steps would be triggered at the same time so the motor steps 1/2 way between steps.
Micro stepping is where the voltages between steps, is slowly handed from one step to the next.
I hope I've described it well enough?
Here's a link: https://blog.moonsindustries.com/20...-full-step-the-half-step-and-the-micro-drive/
Best of luck, Camerart.

Last edited:

JuliaSmith

Joined Nov 9, 2022
As the motor is glitching when you are making it much slower than i think the power consumption of the motor is more than it has been supplied.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Did anybody even notice the comment about two windings reversing at the same time? And is adding a speed reduction impossible? It could certainly make it smoother.