How to make the light to turn on when in proximity

Dritech

Joined Sep 21, 2011
Hi all,

I have a basement garage when the common area lighting only turns on after 17:00. The problem is that the common area is still quite dark in the morning. What is the most effective way to make a floodlight (wired through my garage) to turn on automatically when I am in proximity (3 to 5m) ?
I was looking into long distance RFID (5m), but it would be ideal if the device could be able to detect a small sized received (keychain size) as I don't always do to the garage with my car.

Any ideals of how I can implement this please?

MrSalts

Joined Apr 2, 2020
Hi all,

I have a basement garage when the common area lighting only turns on after 17:00. The problem is that the common area is still quite dark in the morning. What is the most effective way to make a floodlight (wired through my garage) to turn on automatically when I am in proximity (3 to 5m) ?
I was looking into long distance RFID (5m), but it would be ideal if the device could be able to detect a small sized received (keychain size) as I don't always do to the garage with my car.

You could get a standard "motion detector" that could sense the presence of a warm figure moving in the field of view of the sensor. Many outdoor spotlights come with them attached.

Alternatively, you could get an old keyless entry retrofit kit (may still be available on amazon and eBay but used to be commonly available at auto parts stores. Use the keyless fob and that will trigger a 12v relay that you wire up.

Lastly, if there is internet access in your garage, you can use some smart fixtures that you can switch with your phone. Or, an Alexa activated bulb can be activated by voice (or the Alexa app on your phone).

Dritech

Joined Sep 21, 2011
Thanks for the feedback. No, PIR sensor is not an option. I don't want the light (which I will pay for) to turn on with every vehicle that enters the common area.
@MrSalts , I was considering the wireless remote control as well (like this ones), but was hoping for any other options :)

MrSalts

Joined Apr 2, 2020
Thanks for the feedback. No, PIR sensor is not an option. I don't want the light (which I will pay for) to turn on with every vehicle that enters the common area.
@MrSalts , I was considering the wireless remote control as well (like this ones), but was hoping for any other options :)
Look up X10 home automation.
Or just: x10 switch
This is an old home automation protocol not great security but, not significant downside if someone decides to travel back in time to read the simple protocol and figure it out. And, all they could do is turn your light on/off.

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
Hi all,

One idea might be to use the MAC address of your phone’s Bluetooth transceiver. You can scan for devices and if the phone’s MAC address is present, turn the light on. It is also possible to do the same thing with the WiFi radio though that might work from too far away. In either case, incorporating RSSI (Received Signal Strength Indication) would allow you to fine tune the working distance.

You’d need an MCU with BT and/or WiFi, and some relatively simple code that might already exist, and of course some sort of switching for the light. I would be inclined to an SSR (Solid State Relay), but a conventional relay actuated through an optocoupler and transistor would also work.