How to make graphic audio analyzer

crazymaster

Joined May 20, 2010
i saw Mak3's project, but he dont have any track view of the project?

What would be the cheapest and also good looking realization? Maybe with DSP chip?
This project seems that will not be too much expensive:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-acToSOJ_g&feature=related
source code and files: http://www.circuitcellar.com/microchip2007/winners/DE/MT1750.html

but... maybe it would be hard to program the PIC.... because its SMD

any other and good project... which can be done?

i think that this project would be something like 30usd... the pic seems to be ~15USD if i am not in mistake

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
That's a mighty nice realization.

The PCB has an ICSP header. Programming would not be a problem with a PICkit-3 or the like. You could probably even make your own ICSP programmer.

Yes, the dsPIC30F6012A would be somewhere between $9 and $14 + shipping/handling.
Then you would need suitable LED displays.
You would also need the interconnecting cabling.
The ULN2003's would be around $1.50 to $3.00 depending on where you bought them.
The transistors, about $0.15/ea.

crazymaster

Joined May 20, 2010
usually i was thinking of using 5mm leds, maybe they can be used instead of the 20x20led display in this scheme.
but what about the track view, i cant find it in the project, i will try to find the owner if he have any, if no, is there somebody who can make track view for it?

so you think that it will not be a problem to program this PIC(which is SMD...)usually i haven't worked with SMD, i have a friend who can help me with soldering if i cant at home, but about the programming...

also what do you think about this scheme made at home? i mean the pcb?
maybe it would be really hard, but possible, right?

P.S.
I am making PCBs with that way: http://www.riccibitti.com/pcb/pcb.htm

P.S.2.
Also, do you know any good online shops with a lot of products, which can deliver to Bulgaria... at good prices? I cant find this PIC here, and maybe the SMD elements

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
usually i was thinking of using 5mm leds, maybe they can be used instead of the 20x20led display in this scheme.
I suppose you could use them, but it would mean a LOT more wiring, and you would have to design your own board.
but what about the track view, i cant find it in the project,
What do you mean, track view? A list of tracks on an album? There is no means to display that kind of information, or even get it in to the controller.

i will try to find the owner if he have any, if no, is there somebody who can make track view for it?
You need to define what you mean by "track view". Right now, I do not know what you are talking about.

so you think that it will not be a problem to program this PIC(which is SMD...)usually i haven't worked with SMD, i have a friend who can help me with soldering if i cant at home, but about the programming...
The programming will not be a problem if you have an ICSD programmer.

The SMT/SMD soldering will be more difficult than DIP soldering. Practice will help a good deal.

also what do you think about this scheme made at home? i mean the pcb?
maybe it would be really hard, but possible, right?
It's certainly possible to make at home.
P.S.
I am making PCBs with that way: http://www.riccibitti.com/pcb/pcb.htm
That should work. Make certain that you carefully examine the transferred laser toner traces to find any areas that did not transfer well, and "touch them up". I use red Staedtler Lumocolor (tm) pens for the touch-up process.

P.S.2.
Also, do you know any good online shops with a lot of products, which can deliver to Bulgaria... at good prices? I cant find this PIC here, and maybe the SMD elements
I am afraid that I will not be of any help locating vendors that will ship to Bulgaria, as I live in the USA, and have never tried ordering electronic components in another country.

Perhaps you could purchase or sample some CPU's from Microchip Direct, their online website?

Perhaps RS Components or Farnell UK would ship to Bulgaria? I really do not know.

crazymaster

Joined May 20, 2010
with track view i mean pcb layout - i am not native english speaker, so i am not sure with some english words...

why i will need more wiring for leds? i think that i will 20x20 too? just i have to connect each led.

if somebody have pcb for this scheme, i am going to make it, just please share it :)

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Yes, it does appear that the project creator used discrete LEDs. Just looking at the YouTube video, I thought they'd used an array. You can actually purchase ready-made 20x20 LED arrays, which would reduce the number of solder joints you would have to make. 400 LEDs means 800 solder joints. That would take anyone a while to solder up. 40 solder joints would be a lot less work.

Anyway, no PCB layout in the project. You could make one, though. It will be just a little bit too large to make using the freeware version of Cadsoft Eagle.