How to make BGA rework station

Irmutis

Joined May 24, 2009
Hi,

I want to know how to make BGA rework station? Maybe somebody done it already and could say some good info? How to make corps ? where to get all materials (IR, heater, corps part...)? Best way to control and masure temperature?

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
I suspect you have bitten off a larger bite than you realize. The hard part with a BGA rework station is the optics. I have repaired and calibrated commercial BGA repair stations, they use a prism and other optics to superimpose the BGA chip bottom with the PCB, an absolutely critical alignment. The prism fits between the bottom of the chip and the PCB, and creates the superimposed image. When this alignment is done the prism moves out of the Z axis path and the chip is lowered to the PCM, where hot nitrogen and a heated workstation melt the solder to make the connection.

Irmutis

Joined May 24, 2009
I dont think what that is hard (I know people who made it) ... optics? nitrogen ? I don't need it, this is not the most important thing. I am thinking about that top heater- IR, bottom- ceramic. Termocouples for temperature measurement.
So maybe you have any schematics?

windoze killa

Joined Feb 23, 2006
Would be so much easier forking out $2500 and buying one. At least that way you know it will work and not fry (literally) your chips.

Guess you would just need to get some fish then.