How to make a vacuum tube from scratch

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
What a stunning piece of engineering. In these days of mass-machine-manufactured products to see something so intricately assembled is quite fantastic.

Although in the last quarter I did think his beard was going to go up when he had that blow-torch going! :D

Bravo.

Dave

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
It may be that his awesome vacuum pumps did a thorough job. That roughing pump looked as if it would turn an elephant inside out.

It really makes you wonder how Lee De Forest managed to cobble up a triode in the '20s - or how long it took to make audion tubes work interchangeably.

I am a bit hazy after all these years, but don't recall seeing the silvery gettter flash on every tube. I've got a few dozen assorted tubes in a pair of Exide battery jars, and see flash on fewer that 1/4 of the tubes.

Kimbal

Joined May 7, 2008
Wow - what can I say! I'm very much into tubes and always wanted to see how the process was done. Now its all so "simple".

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Wonder if he makes money off it, or if it is just a hobby. It is so labor intensive I can't see how he'd make money, but then he's producing art as much as technology. He was mass producing those, 19th century style. It was very interesting.

There were several processes I wondered about, The split cylinder with the linch pins, was that a curing station for the glass I wonder?

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
A staple in scifi is recreating tech from nothing but what is in peoples heads. That gentleman has some very high tech tools indeed, though I suspect the glassblowing would be doable by a 15th century artisan. Was his cathode also the filament? That's how it appeared to me.

digitalmind

Joined Mar 7, 2009
I'm speechless... almost. Makes me want to trace the history of this grand field of endeavour. Actually that might be a good idea some time. Like others I always wonder what's inside those black box things; IC packages and so forth. It might be a rewarding experience if you had access to tools like that to learn the old stuff and develop insight into things that came before transistors. Really knowing and understanding what's under the hood and how it all works is important to me, although I don't think I'll acquire that sort of knowledge for modern components.

KL7AJ

Joined Nov 4, 2008
Wonder if he makes money off it, or if it is just a hobby. It is so labor intensive I can't see how he'd make money, but then he's producing art as much as technology. He was mass producing those, 19th century style. It was very interesting.

There were several processes I wondered about, The split cylinder with the linch pins, was that a curing station for the glass I wonder?
You can actually buy one of his tubes, I think he gets around $250 for them. I'd like to have one just for a collector's item. Or to build a cool regenerative receiver like he does at the end. :)

b.shahvir

Joined Jan 6, 2009
It was surprising but i happened to spot many such tubes (triodes,pentodes,etc.) at the 2nd hand market in the suburbs where i live. I must add they are some amazing piece of engineering.......and to say they were developed almost a century ago!