How to make a thermostat

enantiomers

Joined Dec 4, 2011
Hi, I'd like to make a thermostat using thermistor, comparator and other components, can I someone give me some ref or other ideas? Thanks.

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
Hi, I'd like to make a thermostat using thermistor, comparator and other components, can I someone give me some ref or other ideas? Thanks.
Velleman makes a simple thermostat kit that uses a thermistor and a comparator circuit. Maybe you want to start there?

http://www.quasarelectronics.com/velleman/mk138-thermostat-kit.htm

I have built several of these, and they do just what the instructions claim.

The link I posted is for a UK site, but the kit is readily available in the US.

enantiomers

Joined Dec 4, 2011
Thank you for your response, but what if I dont want to purchase anything, can I build the circuit with just stuff from a regular electronics lab? just using thermistor, comparator, resistors, and etc. Thanks again

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
Thank you for your response, but what if I dont want to purchase anything, can I build the circuit with just stuff from a regular electronics lab? just using thermistor, comparator, resistors, and etc. Thanks again
Yes, that's one of the nice things about Velleman kits; they publish the schematic and parts list. You can study their schematic and components, make any changes you want, order the parts wherever you want and build away. On the link I posted, click on the link that says User Manual MK138.

Of course, the chances are that you will spend more than if you bought the kit...and you won't have a PCB, but the circuit will be more what you want.