How to make a GSM Repeater.

Dibyendu

Joined Feb 2, 2013
Hi everyone ,I want to design a device called "GSM repeater" which convert 900 MHZ to 1800 MHZ ,since there is a network problem in my local area where I live I have decided to design this device as an engineer.so I have posted this topic ,any information which will be easy for me to be success acceptable, please help me to work out form that.Welcome you all.

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
Working with Ghz+ circuits is beyond the realm of most beginners (e.g., if you have to ask...)

Did you have a base schematic or guide to work from? It would involve receiving the signal at 900Mhz, demodulating it from the RF, generating a 1.8Ghz carrier, and modulating the demodulated signal onto the new carrier.

Doing this in a way that doesn't corrupt data, send spurious radio waves in non-free bands, and other obstacles is quite a task.

Dibyendu

Joined Feb 2, 2013
I have Read but still have some doubt.How all the graph come in between I am not understood"Gain vs temp" "return loss",(what is input return loss?),etc.can you please ex-plane.

Dibyendu

Joined Feb 2, 2013
OK I Have some information, actually the logic is

directive antenna --> LNA(Low Noise Amplifiers) --> AMP+AGC(Automatic gain control) --> PA(power amplifier) --> omni antenna
directive antenna <-- AMP <-- AMP+AGC <-- omni antenna

So the questions:
How much total gain for the upper side (and bottom side) amps, if i want a functioning repeater for a weak outside signal ?
What power outputs should i use on the PAs ?
Some papers or links to information ?
Thanks.

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
I'd suggest first trying to make an MP3 to FM transmitter that works correctly, preserving stereo, low noise, etc.

The high frequency version would differ in that input would be RF rather than audio, and output is RF. Where it gets complicated is the very high frequency.

See attached to get an insight on the rather intricate details, it's not just a matter of wiring input to output. The PC Board needs to be designed in a special way, as any stray inductance or capacitance will cause the circuit to fail.

Attachments