How to make 12 V DC source to 5V-10V DC source?

Sajid86

Joined May 4, 2009
In my Electrical Circuit(DC) course, my teacher asked me to make a 12V DC source to 5V-10V DC Source. Can anyone help me out?

whzahp

Joined May 3, 2009
If u are actually doing this circuit in lab..u can use an LM317 (a variable voltage regulator..see datasheet)..or if u want a fixed o/p voltage u can use a corresponding zener diode of req reverse vtg rating...The simplest soln of all would be to use a voltage divider circuit to get the req o/p vtg across R1 & then allow the 12V-o/p vtg drop across R2..However this will the most inefficient circuit as power deliverd to R2 is simply lost as heat...

zero_coke

Joined Apr 22, 2009
Use a transformer. First you need to convert DC to AC, and then attach it to a variable transformer, and then back to DC again.

This can be achieved by using an LM317 as Mr. Possible Soln mentioned.
Else you can go for a simple buck converter in case if you need higher current....
If you want to know about the buck converter pls let me know......

Last edited:

PRS

Joined Aug 24, 2008
The LM317 is the easiest method and has decent regulation. But if your teacher doesn't allow for ICs, use a Series Pass transistor as a regulator; it's controlled by a pot to get your variation. If you need this solution, let me know.