how to link a microcontroller to PC?

n_srinath93

Joined Oct 15, 2012
hi all,
I am trying to connect an ATMega16 to a PC. I planned to do it with max232 and a serial port.
I will be getting 8 outputs from ATmega16. but, only TX and RX will be used to connect to max232. so, how can i make use of all the 8 outputs from the micro controller?

thanks in advance.
srinath

JMac3108

Joined Aug 16, 2010
If all you need to do is communicate with the PC, and your serial port RX/TX will accomplish this, why are you concerned about using the rest of the pins?

n_srinath93

Joined Oct 15, 2012
thanks for the info JMac3108..

I am done with connecting the circuit. i connected atmega16 to pc with the help of max232 and uart cable. after connecting how can see that outputs in my laptop? is there any software? please help in sovling this

thanks,
srinath

nerdegutta

Joined Dec 15, 2009
... after connecting how can see that outputs in my laptop? is there any software? please help in sovling this ...
What do you want to do?
It would help a lot if you gave us the "big" picture. Your uC needs a program to send/receive data from the laptop, and likewise the laptop needs a program to send/receive from the uC.

On the laptop you can use something like Hyperterminal or REALterminal.

...and oh yeah, a schematic would be nice...

n_srinath93

Joined Oct 15, 2012
What do you want to do?
It would help a lot if you gave us the "big" picture. Your uC needs a program to send/receive data from the laptop, and likewise the laptop needs a program to send/receive from the uC.

On the laptop you can use something like Hyperterminal or REALterminal.

...and oh yeah, a schematic would be nice...
basically I am doing a project to increase the resolution of signal whenever we want.
I am converting an analog input into digital with the help of two ADC's with different resolutions(of which only one will be selected at an instance). I want to see the final picture in laptop. so, I am then using micro controller along with max232 for this. how can i see the signal back in my pc?

thankyou

takao21203

Joined Apr 28, 2012
thanks for the info JMac3108..

I am done with connecting the circuit. i connected atmega16 to pc with the help of max232 and uart cable. after connecting how can see that outputs in my laptop? is there any software? please help in sovling this

thanks,
srinath
Modern Visual Studio includes a serial port class, which you can add to a form easily. You need to download Visual Studio Express, or to buy one of the Visual Studio editions.

Then you connect the pushbuttons with code using a graphic designer.
Data source could be a file, a text box where you enter text, or a data array.

You would need to add some code to send/receive data, and to display it, to enter data, work the pushbuttons, open files etc.

It can be done in Visual Basic, C++, or C#.

USB can be easier to use, since source codes for this already exists, on the firmware side, and the PC side. You could add a small PIC to your circuit, just for USB. Or you can use an USB to RS232 converter chip (these do not need a firmware).

RS232 can be difficult to work with initially, because you need to learn about different cables, pinouts, RTS, CTS etc. termination signals. The Windows serial classes require that these control signals are set correctly on the sender side.

USB is easier, you only have D+ and D- signal lines.

John P

Joined Oct 14, 2008
Your computer may already have this, or you can get one from the Internet for free--what you need is a "terminal emulator". Assuming that you send data to the computer in a form that can appear visibly (i.e. use text characters, not raw binary) then the emulator will let you can see whatever your processor sends, scrolling up in a window. This saves you from any need to write software for the PC to catch and display the data.

takao21203

Joined Apr 28, 2012
Your computer may already have this, or you can get one from the Internet for free--what you need is a "terminal emulator". Assuming that you send data to the computer in a form that can appear visibly (i.e. use text characters, not raw binary) then the emulator will let you can see whatever your processor sends, scrolling up in a window. This saves you from any need to write software for the PC to catch and display the data.
These softwares may or may not support COM ports with high numbers, i.E. COM19. Often you may want to send a mix of binary and text, means pushing some buttons will send binary, while you also can receive or send text for some purposes.