How to Limit/Suppress Leakage Current

Saafir01

Joined Jul 10, 2012
I am doing a research on ways to suppress or limit leakage current in single phase systems. I have done a substantial reading on this issue and the only thing I found that comes close but doesn't solve the real problem is RCD & GFCI.

Ground Fault Circuit Interrupters and Residual Current Devices detect current imbalance in the hot & neutral legs and trip the circuit immediately upon an imbalance is detected.

I don't want to interrupt the circuit but getting rid or suppressing the problem is my main agenda.

Thanks

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
Did you first investigate where its coming from and why its there in the first place?
Leakage current isn't necessarily a bad thing (EMI filtering,etc.. in fact the higher the better more or less).

Make sure you also include the cost vs benefits of reducing it.

Or do you really mean limiting/reducing/preventing shock hazards?

Saafir01

Joined Jul 10, 2012
Yes am I am only interested in Limiting the Leakage Current in order to protect users from electrocution.

Currently, i'm using a transformer to suppress the leakage but the transformer needs to be removed to reduce costs.

The leakage is mostly caused by the VFD....in addition, I ran a test to confirm this & the VFD tripped a GFI receptacle