How to increase the amount of current a buck converter can put out

uraniumhexoflorite

Joined Oct 23, 2016
I've been working on a 12 to 5 volt buck converter designed to charge mobile devices and I've run into a bit of a snag. The current output of the converter is usually about 2 milliamps. The voltage is around 5 volts and the phone says that it is charging. I have a zener stabilizer on the converter's output, but no current is going through it. I'll post a picture of the circuit in a few minutes. Thanks.

ronv

Joined Nov 12, 2008
Here's an up to date schematic of the buck converter and the BJT multivibrator, which is acting as a PWM.
There are a few problems:
The 200 ohm resistors are to small, so the transistors don't turn on very good.
The frequency is to low for only a 50 Uh inductor.
A PFet would be a better choice for the switch. As it is, it is a source follower.
Have you thought about using a 555 for the multivibrator?
How much current are you looking for?

uraniumhexoflorite

Joined Oct 23, 2016
There are a few problems:
The 200 ohm resistors are to small, so the transistors don't turn on very good.
The frequency is to low for only a 50 Uh inductor.
A PFet would be a better choice for the switch. As it is, it is a source follower.
Have you thought about using a 555 for the multivibrator?
How much current are you looking for?
I'll try these out. I initially tried to use a 555, but inverting it was a pain and I had worked with BJT multivibrators before, so I tried one out and it worked much better than the 555 did. I'm unsure what R1 and R4 change, so I tried different resistances and stopped changing them when I got close to 5 volts. I'm looking for a current output of 0.7 to 2 amps (the more, the better). I have made several phone chargers before, but this is my first SMPS, so I might have some questions that may seem obvious. I really appreciate the suggestions. I'll test them out and tell you how it goes. Thanks.

ronv

Joined Nov 12, 2008
I made a few changes to get it in the ball park. But I'm not sure you will be happy with it. The biggest problem is that there is no regulation. I know you were thinking of a zener to clamp the voltage, but it would have to be very big at 5 volts and 2 amps.
So I also attached a buck regulator. This is the simplest type I think. I just picked parts for the simulation so if you want to build it we should pick some different ones.

Attachments

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
So why not just buy a common automotive 12 - 24 :5 VDC converter unit for the price of a cheap burger and fries and not bother with the DIY design work altogether? I guarantee you won't build your own SMPS based buck converter unit for less or smaller either.

Obli

Joined Aug 7, 2016
So why not just buy a common automotive 12 - 24 :5 VDC converter unit for the price of a cheap burger and fries and not bother with the DIY design work altogether? I guarantee you won't build your own SMPS based buck converter unit for less or smaller either.
It seems like a worthwhile learning experience. unraniumhexoflorite stated that this is not their first DIY charger, but it is their first SMPS-based charger.

uraniumhexoflorite

Joined Oct 23, 2016
Tomorrow I'm going to see if I can salvage a coil from a dead CFL. Using a CFL coil should allow me to lower the PWM frequency. Will lowering the frequency have any effect on the current? Thanks.

uraniumhexoflorite

Joined Oct 23, 2016
It seems like a worthwhile learning experience. unraniumhexoflorite stated that this is not their first DIY charger, but it is their first SMPS-based charger.
Yup. In the future, I want to build a variable SMPS power supply, so this will give me a bit of experience before trying to build something really complicated.

ronv

Joined Nov 12, 2008
Tomorrow I'm going to see if I can salvage a coil from a dead CFL. Using a CFL coil should allow me to lower the PWM frequency. Will lowering the frequency have any effect on the current? Thanks.
Make the changes like I posted in the first attachment. Then try your coil.
I would not hook it up to a phone until you see the voltage.:D
Don't forget you need a P channel FET.

uraniumhexoflorite

Joined Oct 23, 2016
Make the changes like I posted in the first attachment. Then try your coil.
I would not hook it up to a phone until you see the voltage.:D
Don't forget you need a P channel FET.
I don't have a PFET on hand (to my knowledge), but I have a good deal of circuit boards that I've salvaged stuff from. I may be able to find a PFET on one. Is there a way to identify one with a multimeter, or are datasheets the only way to tell FETs apart? Thanks.

ronv

Joined Nov 12, 2008