How to INCREASE 'C' Drive Capacity

mkbutan

Joined Sep 30, 2008
Hi
I have 160GB HDD in my System
the 'C' Drive is loaded with WIN-7 and has 100GB partition and only 13GB is FREE now!
the 'D' Drive is of 48GB and 17GB is FREE.
I would like to INCREASE the Capacity of the "C" Drive to 160GB
(I will copy all my data of 'D' Drive to other 500 GB Drive which will make "D" Drive EMPTY )
now what's the procedure to merge the "D" Drive to "C" Drive???????????
any Help
Thanks in advance

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Are C and D the same physical drive? If so, you can use a product like Partition Magic to move the partitions around.

If it is not the same physical drive then I do not think it can be done.

JohnInTX

Joined Jun 26, 2012
In Win-7 go to Control Panel-> System and Security->Administrative Tools ->Create and Format hard disk partitions to open the Disk Manager.

Under View->Top select Volume List and View->Bottom select Graphical View. Select the D partition by clicking it in the graphical view (its hatched when selected).

Under Action->All Tasks you can delete the D partition and extend the size of C to occupy that space.

I'm using Win7-64 Pro but hopefully the tools are present in all versions. Its pretty self-explanatory but read the HELP sections first, back up your C data and make sure you have a recovery CD/DVD made in case you goof.

Be sure you understand what you are doing before proceeding. While I think the procedure is correct, I haven't used it in awhile and did not test by deleting one of MY partitions. Proceed at your own risk.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
That assumes C and D are on the same physical drive. Also I believe it is going to delete the contents of C and D, something the OP might not want to do.

A utility like Partition Magic will preserve data.

mkbutan

Joined Sep 30, 2008
In Win-7 go to Control Panel-> System and Security->Administrative Tools ->Create and Format hard disk partitions to open the Disk Manager.

Under View->Top select Volume List and View->Bottom select Graphical View. Select the D partition by clicking it in the graphical view (its hatched when selected).

Under Action->All Tasks you can delete the D partition and extend the size of C to occupy that space.

I'm using Win7-64 Pro but hopefully the tools are present in all versions. Its pretty self-explanatory but read the HELP sections first, back up your C data and make sure you have a recovery CD/DVD made in case you goof.

Be sure you understand what you are doing before proceeding. While I think the procedure is correct, I haven't used it in awhile and did not test by deleting one of MY partitions. Proceed at your own risk.
Please explain how to do that?
back up your C data and make sure you have a recovery CD/DVD made in case you goof.
and my "C" & "D" Drive are Physical the same ( ONE DRIVE )
I can copy my DATA of "D" Drive to "F" Drive (500 GB) and make it Empty but don't know what to do with "C" Drive ??? as have to extend its capacity...
("E" Drive is DVD)

@spinnaker
That assumes C and D are on the same physical drive. Also I believe it is going to delete the contents of C and D, something the OP might not want to do.

A utility like Partition Magic will preserve data.
Also I believe it is going to delete the contents of C and D, something the OP might not want to do.
I am not in position to lose any of my programs and the data

please HELP

thanks

JohnInTX

Joined Jun 26, 2012
First:
To back up C, go to Control Panel -> System and Security -> Backup and Restore. In the left hand panedo Create a system image and Create a system repair disc.

System image is your current windows installation. When prompted, select a different physical drive than C to save to. Also, read the link How do I restore my computer from a system image? that is in the first dialog. You can select various other things to save as well if you have the space. Saving a system image should be part of your backup schedule at any rate.

The repair disc function burns a bootable startup DVD/CD that you can use if you have to i.e. you clobber C: or it fails down the road. You should have a repair disc even if you are not planning any other stuff.

Hopefully, the disk work will go well and you won't need to use these. You WILL need them to recover from a failed HDD any time so keep them up to date.

Next:
Copy all of your D stuff to another drive. This data WILL be deleted from your primary disk.

Next: Open the Disk Management window as described. READ THE PROCEDURE IN THE HELP info and follow the links to the online help as well so that you are familiar with what to do.

Then: In the graphical display part of the disk management window, you'll see your primary drive with C: (bootable) and D: partitions. Both should report as 'Healthy'. Highlight D: and delete the partition. Now what you have is the C: partition unchanged and an unassigned area where D: used to be.

Next: Use tools again to EXTEND the C partition into the unassigned area.

That should be all you have to do. I haven't messed with my partitions lately but as I recall, it works pretty much like that. Windows will give you warnings against deleting the boot partition but you can still break things. That's why you have the backups.

Something like Partition Magic is wonderful if you have it. There is more goof-proofing and its more automated.

At any rate, that's all I know about it. Its up to you to decide how to proceed from here. Above all, DO YOUR RESEARCH and TAKE YOUR TIME. If Microsoft says something different than I wrote, defer to them. Here is their tutorial on the system image. and from the help files:
Can I repartition my hard disk?

If you are logged in as an administrator, you can repartition your hard disk by using the Shrink feature in Disk Management. You can shrink an existing partition or volume to create unallocated disk space, from which you can create a new partition or volume. (Note that the terms partition and volume are often used interchangeably.)

1. Click to open Computer Management.*
    If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
  2. In the left pane, under Storage, click Disk Management.
  3. Right-click the volume you want to shrink, and then click Shrink Volume.
  4. Follow the instructions.
Notes

• There are some things that might prevent you from shrinking a volume. For more information, on the Help menu, click Help Topics, click the Search tab, type Shrink a Basic Volume, and then click List Topics.

• If you have multiple partitions on your hard disk, you can delete and create partitions from the resulting unallocated space. When you delete a partition, all data on the partition is erased.

• You can also repartition hard disks with another partitioning program. Several third-party software providers offer programs that allow you to repartition your hard disk without erasing data.
Finally, you might want to look at TreeSize Free which will scan your C drive and tell you what's taking all of the space in the first place. Programs sometimes leave lots of temp files laying around that can be deleted. e.g. some versions of WD Smartware leave gigabyte temp files that don't get deleted by windows cleanup. TreeSize can find these for you.
Good Luck.

Last edited: