How to identify the pinout of a white label LM337?

amundsen

Joined Aug 27, 2015
Hello,

I have a LM337 regulator in a TO-220 package which appears to lack any identification of the component's manufacturer. The only writings are "LM337" and "A4". Therefore I can't refer to any specific datasheet.

Any idea how to identify the pins without frying the component by trial and error?

Thank you in advance.

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
Hello,

I have a LM337 regulator in a TO-220 package which appears to lack any identification of the component's manufacturer. The only writings are "LM337" and "A4". Therefore I can't refer to any specific datasheet.

Any idea how to identify the pins without frying the component by trial and error?

Thank you in advance.
The textbook transistor model is a pair of back-to-back diodes - so you should be able to identify the base pin easy enough.

You can distinguish between emitter and collector because the B/E junction acts like a zener at somewhere around 8V ish.

You can get ultra efficient LEDs that give a useable indication at only 2mA, use a 12V A23 keyfob battery and the highest value resistor you can get away with to limit the current.

The B/E junction will conduct one way, and pass enough leakage current for a dim glow in the LED when the other way.

CoolBeer

Joined Mar 29, 2010
The textbook transistor model is a pair of back-to-back diodes - so you should be able to identify the base pin easy enough.
But it's not a transistor now is it, it's a voltage regulator...

I would just go by any reputable manufacturers datasheet(say TI), I'd be very surprised if it does not turn out that all lm337s have the same pinout. (ADJ-VIN-VOUT btw).

Hope this helps.
-
CoolBear

amundsen

Joined Aug 27, 2015
But it's not a transistor now is it, it's a voltage regulator...

I would just go by any reputable manufacturers datasheet(say TI), I'd be very surprised if it does not turn out that all lm337s have the same pinout. (ADJ-VIN-VOUT btw).

CoolBear
Indeed, it's the same pinout from TI, Fairchild, OnSemi and ST. However I have already encountered components (maybe not as common as this one) with different pinouts from manufacturer to manufacturer, so I preferred to ask first.

Thank you.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
You can distinguish between emitter and collector because the B/E junction acts like a zener at somewhere around 8V ish.
As a public service, I'd like to point out that breaking down the BE junction tends to kill the high frequency beta; I've read that low frequency beta is unaffected, but haven't confirmed this myself.

The breakdown voltage should be closer to 5V.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
Wire it according to any manufacturers LM337 pinout with the ADJ pin connected to ground and no output load.
Slowly increase the input voltage while monitoring the input current and output voltage.
The output voltage should start to rise when the input exceeds -2V or so and reach a maximum of -1.3V if it is connected properly.
The input current should be essentially zero.
If either of these don't happen then it's connected wrong.

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
As a public service, I'd like to point out that breaking down the BE junction tends to kill the high frequency beta; I've read that low frequency beta is unaffected, but haven't confirmed this myself.

The breakdown voltage should be closer to 5V.
It varies with transistor type, from about 5V but can be as high as 8V.

This was meant to illustrate the reason for using a 12V A23 keyfob battery, as a 9V PP3 might not have enough oomph to also glow the LED if the B/E breakdown only left 1V to spare.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
By the way this thread is a bit strange, with two subjects in one. :)
Yes, sometimes a misunderstood question (such as here, thinking the LM337 was a transistor) can lead to a side discussion that achieves a life of it's own, even after it's recognized that the side discussion is unrelated to the op's question.
So you have to read the replies carefully to see which apply to your question and which don't. :rolleyes:

Last edited: