How to get y=x/(a*(x-1)+1) with opamps?

freshtapescent

Joined Dec 27, 2015
Ultimately trying to design an AC amplifier stage that has y=x/(a*(x-1)+1) for values between 0<x<1. A is a constant where 0<a<1 Order of operations should be as follows:
1. x-1 = add -1V DC offset to x with noninverting amplifier
2. a*(x-1) = use a voltage divider and buffer
3. a*(x-1)+1 = add +1V DC offset to x with noninverting amplifier
4. x-(a*(x-1)+1= no idea

This website's section on analog computing is great (http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/textbook/semiconductors/chpt-9/computational-circuits/) and I should be able to figure out steps 1-3, but as both x and (a*(x-1)+1) are different voltages and neither constant, I'm lost. Anyone point me in the right direction?

Attached images are from the online Desmos graphing calculator and show what happens when variable a is adjusted. Higher values of A create more nonlinearity from y=x.

Attachments

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
You can't multiply or divide two variable voltages together with just op amps.
Op amps only add, subtract, or multiply/divide by a constant.
You need a non-linear device such as an analog multiplier to multiply/divide two variable voltages.

kubeek

Joined Sep 20, 2005
I think you can do it with an logarithmic amplifier, that uses just bjts and opamps. Or you could build a Gilbert Cell which allows multiplication - see

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
The order of operations should be to first reduce the expression you are trying to synthesize.

Then you can do this with just a few op amps.

freshtapescent

Joined Dec 27, 2015
The order of operations should be to first reduce the expression you are trying to synthesize.

Then you can do this with just a few op amps.
Steps 1-3 in the original post outline how I plan on dealing with the order of operations. I can get that to work. Its the fourth step which is the division of two variables. How can I do that with just a few opamps?