how to get negative V from +v source

electronis whiz

Joined Jul 29, 2010
i am trying to desing a replacement switch mode psu for a computer. i am just trying to see if my idea is posible. how do you get - voltage from a positive source. EG in a computer -5 and -12 volts.
i'v taken apart many old psus and i noticed it looked like both -5&12 v are derived by a negitive voltage regulator from the +12 or +5 v.
is this right. if not then how is this done.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Sure, it's possible, using an inductive inverter. -5v and -12v are legacy voltages; really only around to support RS232, which is going away in favor of USB, Firewire and other more modern technologies.

Here's a great site for you to read up on SMPS's:
http://smps.us/

For a PC supply, you could start with an isolating converter to provide isolation from the mains - and then derive your other voltages from that point.

tom66

Joined May 9, 2009
-12V is generated from the primary SMPS transformer. The transformer usually has four or five taps, +12V, +5V, COM, -12V. The +3.3V rail is often derived from a magamp regulator; if this is not the case then there is also a +3.3V tap. -5V from the -12V rail is easy using a 7905 regulator.

-12V is only for RS232 and for a few legacy devices. PCI cards take -12V as well, but PCI Express drops this.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
A simple voltage doubler will also do this, though they have significant losses and tend to be noisy. With a decent source a voltage doubler will create almost any polarity and voltage.

electronis whiz

Joined Jul 29, 2010
i want to make it more eficiant than a switchmode psu. would this be more eficent using regulators than transformers. should i use a delay line to get the +5 v power good siginal.

tom66

Joined May 9, 2009
Your average SMPS power supply is very efficient; on average 80% under full load. If you're messing with mains voltages be careful. A typical computer SMPS power supply has voltages of 350V peak in it, even in the US, because a voltage doubler is used when you select '115V'.

The +5V power good signal should be provided by a comparator. When the +5V line exceeds say +4.75V power good should be pulled high.