How to get force between two permanent magnets using ANSYS?

needmagnethelp

Joined May 15, 2010
Hello,

I am working on a project which requires me to find the force between two permanent magnets. The configuration of the two magnets is variable, and they are of different geometries, so I thought the best way to do this would be by using ANSYS.

I have never used the ANSYS magnetostatic module before, so I am very unsure as to how to use it. I imported the magnets' geometry into ANSYS from SolidWorks, but now don't know how to proceed (how to set up magnetic properties and generate a solution).

Does anyone have experience with this software who can help me or direct me to good tutorials or guides? Alternatively, is there an easier way to do this that I'm missing (either by hand or with another, easier software)?

Thanks in advance for your help!

needmagnethelp

Joined May 15, 2010
I've googled similar phrases as well, and found a bunch of sites that seem to have good tutorials.

Unfortunately, most of them, including the University of Alberta one you suggested, only have tutorials that deal with structural analyses (like mechanical stresses and strains, buckling, fatigue, etc). I have yet to find a tutorial that discusses magnetics.

Thank you for your help though, if you happened to have come across a magnetostatic-specific tutorial, please send it my way!

jonasei

Joined Nov 30, 2012
Hello

I have a similar Problem, I need to calculate the masgnetic force between a permanent magnet and a steel plate, using Ansys magnetostatic.

How can I model the permanent magnet?

Thank you
Jonas