How to find the Zeq (input impedance) of the matching network, and the load seen by the generator and the forward/reflected power

esoulse

Joined May 16, 2022
${2LS5L)VPOJ73M{4EHH5_1.pnga I want to make a sensor that can read the voltage/current at the node vin, no matter how the mismatch between the source and the load. I could always find the Zeq by using this Vin reading / Iin reading to find out the Zeq right? If i multiply Vin and Iin, I should get the power delivered to the Zeq which equals to Power generated by the source - power being reflected. Please correct me if I'm wrong about this

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
View attachment 268762a I want to make a sensor that can read the voltage/current at the node vin, no matter how the mismatch between the source and the load. I could always find the Zeq by using this Vin reading / Iin reading to find out the Zeq right? If i multiply Vin and Iin, I should get the power delivered to the Zeq which equals to Power generated by the source - power being reflected. Please correct me if I'm wrong about this
Not sure if you were thinking about this or not, but, you most likely have to take into consideration the phase angle between voltage and current. The phase angle changes the real power levels. In fact, most AC circuits have to take into account the phase angle because many loads are reactive.
If you have some details on the load we can look at the theoretical aspects a lot better.

Halfpint786

Joined Feb 19, 2018
I have a two questions...
1) why not measure the impedance at a lower power with a cheap VNA? The impedance/mismatch isn't going to change with power (assuming the components can handle that power), so why measure it under power??? If something changes the match at 5kw, I guarantee you will know about it without needing "sensors"!
2) If I may ask, what is this for? The reason I ask, and don't take this the wrong way, is that those types of power amplifiers are so expensive and take so much power that it is typical for the person implementing it to be well versed in the area of RF and 3-phase industrial power. So, when you say "no matter the mismatch", I can only assume you do not appreciate the tens of thousands of volts that can be produced in the matching network or on the antenna, nor the fact that a mismatch greater than 3:1 with that power level will likely fry the unit in spectacular fashion. This makes me think you purchased this thing second-hand and plan to go pirate radio on us (forgive me if I am wrong, and if I am, surely you would understand my concern).

Please, give us more info!!!