how to find out led pannels power and how to power it

Drmart

Joined Mar 12, 2020
i have a led pannel flood light which has broken leds that dont work,
i want to dissassemble it and make each pannel into individual leds,

at the moment they are on a heatsink and they join to 1 power lead, i believe they use resistors etc to control the current as apposed to drivers? there is no driver..

i want to spread the 2 working pannels over my lathe and benchsaw, and the 2 broken if non repairable still have alot of light i could leave also pluged in over other tools,

but i dont know how i would go about testing, i believe each strips 50watt as the whole unit with 4 is 200w and the pcb shows 50w 220
and i am uk 230v20200229_093501.jpg

Drmart

Joined Mar 12, 2020
If your 50W spec is correct, they will be 1W LEDs, max current about 350 mA.

Bob
so id just need a 350ma 50w driver to run them then ? or is there any way to run them on a plug like they currently are without ? (in set of 4 )

Dodgydave

Joined Jun 22, 2012
Can you remove the silver screws, and see if there is a transformeless psu inside,or switch mode, as the leds are DC with four outputs.
There might be a broken led in series that has gone.

BobTPH

Joined Jun 5, 2013
so id just need a 350ma 50w driver to run them then ? or is there any way to run them on a plug like they currently are without ? (in set of 4 )
That depends on how they are wired. A single driver can be used only if they are all in series. And it would need to output over 150V.

Bob