how to find out base current

jonisonvespa

Joined Mar 25, 2012
hi,
been a way from electronics for a long long time, im trying to build a circuit to switch on relays and leds, cant remember how to work out the base current of a tranny resistor?, can someone please remind me also in the speck sheet what value is the base current? my circuit, (i cant seem to post a link of the sheet) its a sm sot-23

ok had another long look am i right in saying Ic is the collector current if so in the speck sheet it says 100 im asuming this is 100ma? so you use ohms law to work out the resistor? using a 5v to the base of tranny

am i correct in saying 50 ohm resistor

thank you

Attachments

Last edited:

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
The general rule of thumb is to make the base current 1/10 of the collector current.
So, if your load requires 20mA, set the base current to 2mA.

Last edited:

debjit625

Joined Apr 17, 2010
Yes and also in some european transistors the base current is 1/20 of collector current,for example BC547,BC548 .....

Good Luck

jonisonvespa

Joined Mar 25, 2012
hi mr chips
ok i think ive established the collector current for sot-23 is 100ma are you saying 1/10 of this ? so 10ma

so the resistor required is 5/.01 500 ohm resistor?

thank you

Shanjaq

Joined Dec 6, 2010
Base Current to Collector Current would be the DC Current Gain(hFE) of that particular transistor? That's a dynamic property, which usually has a graph in the datasheet, or a few quoted values, like the PN2369A has an hFE=40 @ Ic=10mA and Vce=1.0V. That's an amplification ratio of 1:40 Base vs Collector current.