How to extend the range of Wi-fi in a camp site

alchemizt

Joined Mar 23, 2021
So we have a metal tower which enables us to receive internet wirelessly from someone in the village who has a transmitter (he receives internet wirelessly from the city 20 miles away using a large tower), but the wifi router is located not too far from the tower, and doesn't have that much range. I'm setting up an office about two hundred feet away from the wifi router. What would be the best way to get internet in my house which is 200 feet away from the router?

If I was to run an ethernet cable, would it lose all of its signal strength since it is such a long distance (200 feet) or will it work? Could I run an ethernet cable and connect a wifi transmitter to it?

Or could I attach a second tower to my roof, then retransmit the signal from the main tower?

Or would a really powerful wifi router with a huge range be a good option?

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
GigE has a maximum cable length of 100m so it is not too far and would be the best way to get access. You don't even need gigabit, necessarily, 100baseT would work, but you don't gain anything from it so 1000baseT makes sense.

Just run a wire, make sure it is in a conduit or rated for direct burial or aerial use.

Last edited:

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
GigE has a maximum cable length of 100m so it is not too far and would be the best way to get access. You don't even need gigabit, necessarily, 100baseT would work, but you don't gain anything from it so 1000baseT makes sense.

Just run a wire, make sure it is in a conduit or rated for direct burial or aerial use.
Note that 100m is 328 feet. So you could run a cable for 200 feet.

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
Yes, that's what I was getting at. No point in monkeying around with wireless when you can do wired which will be more reliable, probably cheaper, and in the end, easier.
And for even greater distances, you can buy Ethernet to Fiber adapters. One of my clients was a golf club which built an outdoor bar quite far from the clubhouse. Using these adapters, we ran redundant fiber though underground conduit to run the POS terminals in the remote bar.

eetech00

Joined Jun 8, 2013
So we have a metal tower which enables us to receive internet wirelessly from someone in the village who has a transmitter (he receives internet wirelessly from the city 20 miles away using a large tower), but the wifi router is located not too far from the tower, and doesn't have that much range. I'm setting up an office about two hundred feet away from the wifi router. What would be the best way to get internet in my house which is 200 feet away from the router?

If I was to run an ethernet cable, would it lose all of its signal strength since it is such a long distance (200 feet) or will it work? Could I run an ethernet cable and connect a wifi transmitter to it?

Or could I attach a second tower to my roof, then retransmit the signal from the main tower?

Or would a really powerful wifi router with a huge range be a good option?
run CAT6 cable from the router at the tower to a new WiFI/Ethernet router at your office. Then you can use the tower router as an internet service and connect devices at your office to the new router.

The tower router should be able to run Gig Enternet. If not, they should upgrade.

there will be no performance impact if you use Ethernet cable, provide it’s installed and terminated properly.