how to distribute voltage locally on a surface?

JJoll

Joined May 7, 2013
hi,
this might be a little bit confusing that is why I have uploaded a picture with this post.
I do have a 2inch by 2inch square sheet of sample that has been divided to 9 equal sections. I have to apply different surface voltages to each sections every second, how can I do this in the most efficeint way? my initial though was to use one of those conductive films for each section (put conductive sheet on top of each section the connect wires to conductive sheet) then connect each section to a wire but in this case 9 wire will be sticking out of the sample which is undesireable for this project. is there any transparent conductive film that can delivare different voltage to different sections of itself (different area on itself)?
thanks

Attachments

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
Why does the film have to be transparent?
I have to apply different surface voltages to each sections every second
Do you mean that at any one time the voltages must all be different? Or are you applying different voltages in sequence? Or .....?

JJoll

Joined May 7, 2013
Why does the film have to be transparent?
Do you mean that at any one time the voltages must all be different? Or are you applying different voltages in sequence? Or .....?
I am working on one kind of material that changes its colour (RGB) as you apply a voltage difference on both side of their surface. so for example if the voltage difference between back and front surface is 5 volt the material will turn green and if it is 3.5 volt it will turn red. now I want to put very small size of these material next to each other and create a picture as these pieces act like pixels of that picture. That is why I need a TRANSPARENT conductive material to apply this voltage difference and that is why I dont want to connect one wire to each pixel becuase imagine it is a 100 X 100 picture then there are 100 wires sticking out the picture. it really doesnt matter if each pixel changes the voltage at the same time or in sequence.

to3metalcan

Joined Jul 20, 2014
I think if you gridded it right, you could alternating strips of some kind of clear conductor with clear insulating film so that each conductive layer only contacted one point on the grid. However, for a 100 x 100 picture a) you aren't talking about 100 wires, you're talking about 1000, and b) 1000 layers of clear film (more with insulating film between) is still a lot...apart from the possible thickness, if there's a problem somewhere it'll be essentially impossible to see or get to. Also, still going to have to have a 1000-pin hookup, somewhere, unless you work out some kind of scan-line system like a computer monitor uses.