How to determin if a 24v 50hz stepmotor is 24vac or 24vdc

kubeek

Joined Sep 20, 2005
Definitely not good for CNC. The 50/60hz on it tells me that it most likely is a one-way only motor used in old gramophones and stuff like that.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Not so much fixed rpm, just tied to the frequency of the supply, they are pretty much identical to any bi-polar DC stepper, but designed for higher than normal voltage and operate similar to the split phase induction motor in as much as a capacitor is used to create the split phase, they will run reverse just by swapping the windings.
Advantages: fixed rpm on set frequency and almost 'instant' stop start.
Often designed for 120/240AC 50/60Hz.
Max.

Topduck71

Joined Sep 26, 2014
Thnx Max...

But i think i will put my pure knowledge in the DC world... maybe i can use them else where in the future :-/

/TopDuck

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
You could conceivably use them as Bi-polar DC steppers, just the DC power supply would be higher than is normal for DC steppers, and make a custom step/dir drive for them.
Max.

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
I hope you didn't pay that price for them..
You can get stepper motors for CNC applications for as little as $5 to $50 USD.
No idea what types of torques yours will require but NEMA 17 or 23 steppers are used all the time in DIY CNC applications.

oodles of them here
http://www.mpja.com/Stepper-Motors-and-Drivers/departments/101/

I run Nema 23 4.2V @3A (425 oz-in) steppers with a 24V power supply on my machine. I use the Smoothieboard/software and have been VERY happy with it even though it can't full power my steppers at 3A its more than sufficient using the onboard drivers on the smoothieboard.

Topduck71

Joined Sep 26, 2014
mcgyvr:

No i got them from a friend for free...*S*
The site looks great, but anything above 16$ will cost me more than the motor its self.... :-/ "living in Denmark", so everything outside the EU, is a pain for my wallet....

/TopDuck

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
mcgyvr:

No i got them from a friend for free...*S*
The site looks great, but anything above 16$ will cost me more than the motor its self.... :-/ "living in Denmark", so everything outside the EU, is a pain for my wallet....

/TopDuck
Yes as you didn't include your location in your profile I just took a shot in the dark..
I'm sure ebay (only 6000+ listings there for stepper motors) or any other surplus source in your area will have them too..
http://www.jvl.dk/

Topduck71

Joined Sep 26, 2014
Sorry, i will set the country ASAP.

i did some more search and found out that the Long Motor i selling from Germany :) :) :)
Ebay user
longsmotor666