how to detect a specific current value?

Status
Not open for further replies.

aris

Joined May 5, 2010
Hi all,

my next target is to build a circuit that will be able to detect a specific level of current out of a 12V DC power source (e.g. 500mA or below) and when this is reached to get a 12V output signal. Does anyone have any idea of how I could do that?
Thanks once more!!

mik3

Joined Feb 4, 2008
You can use a low value resistor (0.1 R or less) in series the power source and measure the voltage across it. Since the voltage across the resistor is proportional to the current flowing then you can measure the current. The disadvantage of this is that lot of power is lost in the resistor at high current. Another solution is to use a hall effect current sensor.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Measure the voltage drop across a low-value resistor in the load return path using a comparator.
E=IR. If R=0.1 Ohms, then 500mA * 0.1 Ohms = 50mV.

[eta] Whoops, Mik3 - I'm slow today ;)

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
Ok, you want to wait until 500ma is used then close a switch?

So once 500ma then sw=1 ?

You may be able to use a capacitor. Once the cap absorbs 500ma, it releases it, closing a switch.

Im having a little trouble understanding the question.

You may be able to us a resistor in parallel to your circuit to allow a signal to pass once the circuit reached 500ma.

Am I throwing you off?

aris

Joined May 5, 2010
What I want is when the current is reaching a certain level (e.g. 500mA) to get a 12V output which I want to use in order to trigger a delay which is based on CMOS 4000 series IC.I want to do this in analogue (without a micro-controller). Roughly what retched describes with closing a switch.

mik3

Joined Feb 4, 2008
Use a comparator IC to compare the voltage of the current sense resistor with a reference voltage which will determine when the comparator outputs a signal.

aris

Joined May 5, 2010
this looks like it...can I ask just how can I vary the amount of current I want to be the threshold for this circuit?is there any simpler way to do this?shunt resistor ?

mik3

Joined Feb 4, 2008
this looks like it...can I ask just how can I vary the amount of current I want to be the threshold for this circuit?is there any simpler way to do this?shunt resistor ?
One input of the comparator will be the sensed voltage from the current sense resistor (V=I*R). Determine the desired current and then the voltage V, then set the reference voltage of the comparator (second input) to that value (V).

aris

Joined May 5, 2010
a bit more of asiking from me! could someone provide a schematic for such a comparator?
once we are talking about a slight change between the two voltages would this be reliable?
should I use a schmitt trigger configuration instead?

thanks guys!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.