How to design the circuit to cut the power of 12V and 3A power supply using transistor and microcontroller after certain temperature

Md_Yusuf

Joined Aug 2, 2022
Hi, I have a one project called thermistor heater and the maximum rating of this thermistor heater is 12V , 3A so in this project I have to cut the power after certain temperature using microcontroller PWM signal using TIP3055 power transistor so please give me an idea how the circuit can be designed in order to complete this task also if anyone have other idea to this task please let me know that also thank you.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Hi, I have a one project called thermistor heater and the maximum rating of this thermistor heater is 12V , 3A so in this project I have to cut the power after certain temperature using microcontroller PWM signal using TIP3055 power transistor so please give me an idea how the circuit can be designed in order to complete this task also if anyone have other idea to this task please let me know that also thank you.
A schematic diagram of the existing system would be most helpful in order to conceive of a potential solution.

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
Hi Md.
Welcome to AAC.
Do you plan to use the thermistor to measure the temperature and a circuit to switch the 12V to heater On/Off at specific temperature.?
E

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
hi Md,
What is the type of thermistor you plan to use.
Temperature at which the circuit will switch Off the 12V, required accuracy>?

E
Edit: why do you want to use a micro controller.?

BobTPH

Joined Jun 5, 2013
It sounds like you just want a thermostat, but you also mention PWM. So which is it.?

If you simply want yo turn the heater on below a specific temperature, there is no PWM involved.

If you intend to use PWM to maintain a constant temperature, that is much more complicated, and would involve a PID controller.

Also, is it a fixed temperature, or variable?

Md_Yusuf

Joined Aug 2, 2022
hi Md,
What is the type of thermistor you plan to use.
Temperature at which the circuit will switch Off the 12V, required accuracy>?

E
Edit: why do you want to use a micro controller.?
So basically I want to control the thermistor heater using microcontroller so for that I need transistor to cut the power supply after a certain temperature and the would be anything when thermistor will be too hot

Md_Yusuf

Joined Aug 2, 2022
It sounds like you just want a thermostat, but you also mention PWM. So which is it.?

If you simply want yo turn the heater on below a specific temperature, there is no PWM involved.

If you intend to use PWM to maintain a constant temperature, that is much more complicated, and would involve a PID controller.

Also, is it a fixed temperature, or variable?
No I want to cut the power supply after certain temperature when thermistor will be too hot so for that I will need to use transistor to cut the power supply thank you

BobTPH

Joined Jun 5, 2013
No I want to cut the power supply after certain temperature when thermistor will be too hot so for that I will need to use transistor to cut the power supply thank you
That is a thermostat. You can buy one already built. If it is a fixed temperature, then there is a simple, single component.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Here we are 13 posts into this thread and still no schematic diagram. Would it be impertinent of me to ask the TS why they are being so obstinate?