HOW TO design antilog/log circuit?

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
I have an old book from Burr Brown at home. I shall see if I can find it. But you should be aware of that is many problems with such circuits. As an example they do not work very well at low inputs level. What are your trying to make. It could that is better solution to your problem.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
As you are no doubt aware, multiplication is a non-linear operation. The construction and use of non-linear circuits have numerous problems including the need to scale the output to prevent saturation.

The use of a logarithmic amplifier is straight forward, but the inverse operation of raising to a power has the problems of saturation and output scaling.

Check application notes from National Semiconductor for ideas on these beasties.

jans123

Joined Jan 30, 2010
As you are no doubt aware, multiplication is a non-linear operation. The construction and use of non-linear circuits have numerous problems including the need to scale the output to prevent saturation.

The use of a logarithmic amplifier is straight forward, but the inverse operation of raising to a power has the problems of saturation and output scaling.

Check application notes from National Semiconductor for ideas on these beasties.
Right, National was my "tutor" many years ago, long before the application note http://www.national.com/an/AN/AN-311.pdf was published. Look at it, it might give some hints.

steveb

Joined Jul 3, 2008
I am trying to design an voltage multipliers to calculate output voltage. output is a^b
What frequency bandwidth, (or response time) do you need? If you need high speed (MHz for example) you will likely need an analog approach as discussed above. To avoid the difficult design work, you can buy an existing chip, but they are expensive.

However, if you don't need high bandwidth, you can use a cheap microprocessor with built in A/D and D/A converters. All types of nonlinear operations (including multiplication) can be easily handled in programming.

KL7AJ

Joined Nov 4, 2008
Might also look at a Gilbert cell. These are true multipliers, but they have limited dynamic range, so need careful signal conditioning beforehand.

Gilbert cells can be made with six transistors.

eric

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
As long as you are using obsolete op amps, you can use the great old National Semiconductor op amp circuits collection - www.national.com/analog/amplifiers/application_notes- select AN-31

l want to know the model of diode and value of resistor
Just about any old diode will work. Try a 1N914. The resistance value has to do with the end point of the input voltage. As the current through the resistor has to be matched by current through the diode, a reasonable resistance will keep the current below the output current limit of the op amp at the upper range of the input voltage.

Be aware that the log response of your circuit is temperature dependent. For analog computation to have any repeatability, you will need to use something like the op amp collection circuit with temperature compensation. Notice there is an analog multiplier circuit in there, too.

Last edited:

supratim

Joined May 28, 2010
If u still have the problem, u may use AD538 which is an analog computation unit. U can also try MPY534 or MPY634. These are multipliers.