How to delay a clock signal?

KMoffett

Joined Dec 19, 2007
Can you just use an inverter? Or is the condition of both signals being zero to start with (as in your diagram) important?

Ken

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
It's easy with some logic, like a NOR gate in addition to the inverter (you can use a section of the NOR for that). Easy, that is, if this is a logic signal and you can also provide a run signal to control the NOR gates.

One important question is how tight is the timing between the clock and the quadrature clock? If you can live with the 10's of nanoseconds delay through the inverter, fine. If not, then some compensating delay will have to be found for the original clock to adjust the timing.

KMoffett

Joined Dec 19, 2007
Does the delayed clock put out one more pulse after the last primary clock pulse? And are these logic (ttl or cmos) signals? And is the primary clock a fixed frequency?

Ken

Ordos

Joined Mar 12, 2008
It's easy with some logic, like a NOR gate in addition to the inverter (you can use a section of the NOR for that). Easy, that is, if this is a logic signal and you can also provide a run signal to control the NOR gates.

One important question is how tight is the timing between the clock and the quadrature clock? If you can live with the 10's of nanoseconds delay through the inverter, fine. If not, then some compensating delay will have to be found for the original clock to adjust the timing.
Strange as it may seem, it turned to work only with the inverter, as suggested by KMoffett! Both signals start at LOW.

I'm not quite sure about the delay through the inverter. I'm doing a FPGA design and in the simulation it does look fine...

It is actually quite wired, because I'm inverting already a delayed signal (by 180 grad; I get it from the Digital Clock Management of Xilinx). With these both signals I'm feeding two identical logic blocks which count until 500 (16bit counter + comparator). If I don't use the inverter, but only the signal delayed by 180 grad, the output of the one counter is delayed only by 1/4 of the period in comparison to the other...
By using the inverter, it get's OK...

KMoffett said:
Does the delayed clock put out one more pulse after the last primary clock pulse?
Yes, it does, but it is OK. These are two identical counters which I supply with the both clock signals. The second counter should just start counting one period later.

KMoffett said:
And are these logic (ttl or cmos) signals?
This is actually a FPGA design (schematic based). At the end everything should be burned on the FPGA.

scubasteve_911

Joined Dec 27, 2007
Orods, what sort of FPGA are you using? Most of the time there is a clock manager resource available that can do all sorts of great stuff with your clock signals, including accurate phase delays and frequency division/multiplication whilst holding a 50/50 duty.

Pretty much every recent Xilinx FPGA has these resources available.

Steve

Ordos

Joined Mar 12, 2008
Orods, what sort of FPGA are you using? Most of the time there is a clock manager resource available that can do all sorts of great stuff with your clock signals, including accurate phase delays and frequency division/multiplication whilst holding a 50/50 duty.

Pretty much every recent Xilinx FPGA has these resources available.

Steve
Well, I'm using the Virtex II Pro.
You mean the DCM - Digital Clock Management, dont' you?