how to define the maximum switching frequency for an inductor

t_n_k

Joined Mar 6, 2009
It would probably relate to the situation where the inductor approaches a self-resonant state - due to the interaction of its parasitic capacitance and self inductance.

In addition one might consider the parasitic losses due to the inductor's resistance which would tend to increase with increasing switching frequency due to skin effect.

Last edited:

hairball45

Joined Jul 13, 2012
i dont think they will tell you, or they dont know..i cant rember myself tbh, sy.

but the usualy method is to blow it up or some near compoinent whilste monitering (without killing de meter or scope) and pull back at least a third with the frequency, or current or volts or some such combo.

if i remember rightly diodes can help but theres a limit..it's got to go some where)

in short you try it, and if it works momentarily without smokeing in the curcuit, try a longer trial, failing that it's re evaluate and randomly gues or duduce untill some one takes pity, usualy at a pound or doller sign limit of loss in compoinents.(that or a sence of humour..hu-hu! it blew up).

to introduce myself and where i'm at and coming from gents... i dont have the life span left to 'learn the hard way', nore the resourses, i do apraciate that those who now know can often take a hi and might down the nose of 'euwww thats coman knowladge' or 'stupid! thats coman sence', alas.. you didnt know once, and no doubt had to put up with years of waisted life span, endless torment and low self esteime, yet you'd subject others to the very same, in short, your self forfilling profacy meant your teachers were 'justified' in abusing you for an ego feast.(you perpetuate it).

....ok, knowladge is money and power, but a basic circuit 'vital info' point is hardly going to bring down a huge corperasion, sheeesh wouldnt threaten the guy on a market stall would it.

with that...i'll go stand in the corner and repent my sins of truth..not.

end game..O levals in under ten hours, hell 3 A levals in 3 months with a big holiday in between?? or...12 month scanning endless witty poetic nonsencicle bull sh!t to no avail other than 3, yes 3! secret key bits of info.

du dahhh...my bad. apologies. ffffffffffff-farads to it lol.