How to deal with feeling of not wanting to learn anything?

terabaaphoonmein

Joined Jul 19, 2020
IDK what is this feeling. Since my exams were over about 10 days ago, I have been feeling like this tbh...I did rest as well. Now the next thing to be studied is big data where I need to study from textual content and there is no videos for it. So I know that is also one reasons for my lack of starting to study...

IDK..I have been feeling this since a long time. How do I fix this feeling?

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
hi tera,
If you have relooked over your most recent threads, you seem to have not followed through on any of them.

This suggests a disorganized study routine/plan.

You need to get a better, structured way of learning and remembering a subject which works for you.
E

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
hi tera,
As an example:
Did you ever write in your own words, [no web reference data] a definition to your AI Thread query , which I posted too.?
E

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
I have been feeling this since a long time. How do I fix this feeling?
If you have this feeling for something related to your area of study, you need to have the discipline to snap yourself out of this slump. You have to want it if you want to learn something and be successful. If you don't, then you might not have the aptitude for the field you've chosen and you should consider switching to a different major.

If it's something unrelated, just force yourself to push through it and get a decent grade. I had to take a mechanical engineering class (Statics). I didn't really care for it, but I have to admit that I did learn some useful things that I use more than I thought I would.

I've known people who received degrees in something they weren't really interested in and ended up wasting their time and money on something they didn't end up using. I've also known people who were able to get excellent grades but managed to not learn much.

Rich2

Joined Mar 3, 2014
I got burn out in the 1980's studying electronics full time. A career in it turned out not to be, if I'd got an apprenticeship maybe things would have turned out differently. Instead I kept electronics as a hobby which I love, and went into refrigeration and air conditioning. No regrets.
Have you got a job or just studying?

terabaaphoonmein

Joined Jul 19, 2020
I got burn out in the 1980's studying electronics full time. A career in it turned out not to be, if I'd got an apprenticeship maybe things would have turned out differently. Instead I kept electronics as a hobby which I love, and went into refrigeration and air conditioning. No regrets.
Have you got a job or just studying?
just studying. i am computer engineering student.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
just studying. i am computer engineering student.
Too bad you're not working and can look forward to the time when you'll only have to work (in my case) 40 hours a week.

While I was in school, I was working 30+ hours a week while carrying more than a full load of classes. Having so little free time required me to make good use of my time. I'd go to school most of the day and work most evenings from 6pm until about midnight (if I was lucky). I'd do homework for several hours after work while I ate my dinner, get some sleep, and then go to morning classes.

My siblings and I were orphans and I was the head of the household while I was in college. In addition to going to school, doing homework, and working, I did the shopping, and all of the things my parents would have done.

It was such a relief when I moved away and started my first real job. During the summer months, my first employer let us come in at 0600 and leave after doing our 8 hours. That left enough time and daylight that I could go to the beach after work if I wanted to.

BobTPH

Joined Jun 5, 2013
Were you ever enthusiastic about you studies or has it aleays been something you felt like you should do, even though you did not like it?

Bob

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
When was the last time you visited your doctor (or a doctor)? Lack of motivation, particularly if prevalent, could be psychologically related. If school has been unusually stressful for some time, you could be suffering from a stress related syndrome - specifically depression. The symptoms you describe could be a symptom of depression. Lack of motivation is common in depression.

Your doctor may recommend a therapist. Depression doesn’t always mean drug therapy.

In fact, your school’s student services may provide therapy sessions, as such difficulty is common amongst college students.

If that is the case, advice such as working your way through it may actually make the symptoms worse. Please check with a therapist or doctor.

MrSalts

Joined Apr 2, 2020
Work a manual labor job or a very repetitive job (assembly line) for a few days and you will surely be motivated to learn so those jobs do not become your life.

Also, you need to have perspective that learning is a fun challenge and each new concept that you master is a success that you can celebrate. Reward yourself.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
Is the problem really that you don't want to learn anything? Or is it that you want to learn something else? That is my problem. I have too many interests and a disorganized mind. When there is something I know that I should be learning/doing, but something else has taken up residence in my mind, it is very hard (sometimes impossible) for me to abandon it and return to the scheduled programming. For this reason I have many unfinished projects. Not because I lost interest but because I was consumed by some other interesting thing. I am not a good student. I do better teaching myself, building my own knowledge base in a haphazard way.

But maybe I am projecting myself too much onto your situation. Maybe you really have lost the will to learn anything. I know a bit about that as well; I have been depressed at some points in my life, but usually it was my whole life affected, not only my will to learn extinguished. Also my will to do anything, see anyone, talk to anyone, etc.

LowQCab

Joined Nov 6, 2012
There are several things that need to be in place in your Life.

1)
Your health, get yourself on a Ketogenic-Diet,
and get rid of the Brain-Fog that You didn't know you've had for your entire life.
https://www.youtube.com/c/DrEricBergDC

2)
Get straight on exactly WHY you chose the field that You have chosen,
( or did someone else choose it for You ? )
( are You trying to impress a parent or relative ? )
( was it chosen for a dumb reason like maximum Income and/or Job-Security ? )

Your Job needs to be something that You enjoy, ( but then it's not a "Job" anymore ).

Your Job MUST ultimately contribute to others, something that others find valuable.

3)
Define ALL WORDS , even the small common words.
Pushing past misunderstood words or concepts will put You to sleep fast.
You must routinely use the words in sentences, over and over again, or You will forget them.

4)
Mass, things You can touch.
You can't just study "concepts" for years without occasionally, ( continuously is best ),
experiencing the real "thing" that You are studying, and putting your hands on it.

5)
You have to know exactly WHY any particular word, or concept, has significance to You,
and why that particular word or concept is, or may be, important to attaining your future goals.

6)
Responsibility ........
You will have a hard time in Life, and be quite unhappy, unless You take FULL responsibility for
your part in creating and maintaining something valuable.
You must also insist that others take responsibility for their part as well.

tindel

Joined Sep 16, 2012
Tera - totally natural to get sick of learning - particularly in an educational setting. Go blow off some steam with your friends. Physical activities are best... hiking, biking, running, pumping iron, etc... Gotta keep the mental and physical (mostly) in balance - yin and yang. Outdoors is best too.

I recently heard about a study that said most people can only study for about 15 minutes without needing to take some sort of mental break (why do you think I'm on AAC right now?). Medical Doctors, by the time they enter the workforce can study for much longer periods... hours, but they have trained themselves to be able to accomplish this length because of the massive amounts of data they need to learn and retain. I think engineers need to hit these numbers to be successful in grad school as well.

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
Sounds like your classes are related to IT, I remember a class I had involving “Big Data” I was employed at a University and the classes I took for Network Administration involved the study of “Big Data” I don’t recall much of what I studied but, remember the long hrs of memorization and finding the related material that often was so close to the answer on my Test, yet not that exact answer. It was so frustrating to find the correct one only to see that the references were classifications and my error wasn’t able to see the difference between them. All it does is allow someone to sell books for work they produced earlier, it gets added to general studies and then is canonized. I was already employed and was not as big of a stress to me as it would be for you, I didn’t need to face the idea that it wasn’t for me or that I’m in the correct field of study it is for you and I personally felt for those students seeking employment in the field, it can represent a good income but, as someone above said before.

They in an above post, went into Heating and Air Conditioning, I actually graduated first in that field and wasn’t until later that I took my hobby of electronics learned in a TV repair shop, to get gainful employment first at Shooting Range company then to the University I retired in Distance Education. Hang in there and keep growing, learn grow and adapt.

kv

terabaaphoonmein

Joined Jul 19, 2020
I am Computer Engineering student and burnout is really a huge issue for me. I keep getting burn out(IDK the exact word for this tbh)

.. I will explain this feeling. I feel like doing really nothing. I don't even want to open anything to read. I simply stay idle. I watch youtube videos. I watch reddit discussions and just waste my time. I simply don't want to do anything. This type of feeling generally keeps happening to me. Specially during exams. Our exams are 1 month long and they keep happening for at least 2 exams with some gap of 14 days i guess.

I don't know if this is burnout or what? Is this brain fog or what? But basically my mind stops doing things that I need to do(study).

My medical conditions-:
https://medicalsciences.stackexchange.com/questions/30587/what-am-i-medicating-for

I have added proate 500 after telling my doctor that I suffer from continuous burnout, feeling like doing nth and so on. I am simply idle. It is not like I don't feel fear. Even if I feel fear, I feel like doing nth. I have already consulted doctor and doctor just gives me medicines and nth more. So hope people here will be considerate and give tips independent or dependent my medical conditions.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
I have already consulted doctor and doctor just gives me medicines and nth more.
You could be suffering from depression. Your doctor is unqualified to treat this condition, but he should at least give you a referral to a psychologist or psychiatrist. They'll be qualified to diagnose whether it's depression or anxiety. Knowing which it is, they can formulate a plan to help you while recommending the proper medication. A psychiatrist can write a prescription, but a psychologist can't. The same goes for dosage because it's trial and error to find the right amount.