How to cut-slots in the middle of the PCB eagle?

Manjesh Gowda

Joined Oct 19, 2020
I am wondering how to cut some shapes in the middle of the PCB. I am not sure on which layer I need to do and also no idea about how the manufacturers consider that? Please let me know on which layer I need to cut and also how to add it to CAM processor in order to see it has been cut. Is there any creepage distance I need to consider between the cut area and copper trace? I attach the picture for reference.

Attachments

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
Since the purpose of the slot is to increase creepage distance it only makes sense to put that slot in all layers. You can do this with a router bit in a hand-held drill motor.

eetech00

Joined Jun 8, 2013
I am wondering how to cut some shapes in the middle of the PCB. I am not sure on which layer I need to do and also no idea about how the manufacturers consider that? Please let me know on which layer I need to cut and also how to add it to CAM processor in order to see it has been cut. Is there any creepage distance I need to consider between the cut area and copper trace? I attach the picture for reference.
When I want the FAB house to create slots, I use oval shaped through hole pads of the correct length and width to represent a slotted milled shape. I will also show this on a special "Mechanical" layer to identify the slots as milled holes.

PadMasterson

Joined Jan 19, 2021
I don't know Eagle, (I use Xpedition), but if you can't get what you want from the tool, you can always use a detail view in your FAB drawing, just make sure you don't have any copper on any of the layers in the area you are slotting. Also, don't forget to keep any copper near the slot back from the edge at least .025" or more to account for tolerance. I have used .031" wide slots for things like this, but it also depends on the voltage you are using too. Hope it works out for you OK.