How to convert printed layout to circuit schematic diagram

obas

Joined Dec 27, 2010
Dear Members,
I would like to know if it is possible to convert a printed circuit layout drawn using ExpressPCB back to Schematic diagram on the same ExpressPCB software and how to do it.

KMoffett

Joined Dec 19, 2007
Directly?...Short answer is no. But, it could be done manually, building the schematic as you think it's arranged. Save the schematic, link it back to the PCB, and use the "Highlight net connections" function to verify your schematic connections. Might work on small circuits where you have an idea of its configuration. I've reverse engineered small PCB's...but it's not fun. ;)

Ken

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
Yeah... good luck.

There is no information (besides connections) that would tell the schematic capture program where the components were laid out.

It would be possible to just throw all the parts with connections on a screen, then let YOU place them in the schematic, but I haven't seen it done.

KMoffett

Joined Dec 19, 2007
It would be possible to just throw all the parts with connections on a screen, then let YOU place them in the schematic, but I haven't seen it done.
That is exactly what I've done...again on small PCBs. Also, took a picture of the board and highlighted the traces on the image as I connect the components on the schematic. It also takes some knowledge of how you would expect the schematic to be functionally arranged in the end.

Ken

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Out of curiosity, I searched on "reverse schematic capture." Several hits, many of which are firms offering to do reverse engineering for you. This hit claims to be able to do schematic from PCB.

http://www.numberone.com/easypc.asp#

# Automatically update PCB with Schematic design changes
# Back annotation
# Reverse Engineer creates Schematic from PCB
# Design Rules Checking
John

Ron H

Joined Apr 14, 2005
Out of curiosity, I searched on "reverse schematic capture." Several hits, many of which are firms offering to do reverse engineering for you. This hit claims to be able to do schematic from PCB.

John
Can you post the link to the actual page that you quoted?
If we want to see the home page, it's a lot easier to navigate backwards than it is to find the needle in the haystack.

Ron H

Joined Apr 14, 2005
Com'on Ronnie! Were here to help each other!

Not a problem. Never a problem.
That's funny! Ronnie is my legal name. No one here has ever called me that before. Did my new avatar inspire you, or was it just coincidental?

Last edited: