How to control Stepper motor Manually?

fadelo

Joined Apr 12, 2011
Hello

at first is it possible to control a stepper motor using discrete components? suppuse that i dont want to use the Microcontroller,, what is the substitute method?
the type of my stepper motor is hyprid with code of (FL42STH47-0406A) six wires (red white blue - black yellow green)

my idea is to use the 555 ic timer as ramp generator and make the stepper motor drive in clockwise and anti clockwise

but i dont have a clue how to design such circuit and if it is possible?

any help..

Regards

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
Yes, you can, but you need a simple digital circuit to generate the required phase-sequence and appropriate drivers to provide the motor current. The 555 can be used as a clock generator but you don't need a ramp.

What is the voltage, type (number of phases), and current of the stepper motor?

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008

fadelo

Joined Apr 12, 2011
Yes, you can, but you need a simple digital circuit to generate the required phase-sequence and appropriate drivers to provide the motor current. The 555 can be used as a clock generator but you don't need a ramp.

What is the voltage, type (number of phases), and current of the stepper motor?
thnx 4 reply:)

ok .. to keep in mind that i dont want to use PC at all and for the specifications as follow:
rated voltage : 12 v
Current phase: 0.8 A
Type: Hyprid steping motor >> 6 wires grouped as
[(Black-Yellow-Green)-(Red-White- Blue)]

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
A motor datasheet is available here: http://reprap.org/mediawiki/images/a/af/NEMA14-high-torque.pdf
Look on page 8. Yours is a Unipolar stepper. I suggest that you build the unipolar driver that Bertus linked to.
Yours is rated for 11.2v, 0.4a per phase. Yellow and white wires go to +V. Ground the other 4 wires in the correct sequence to step the motor. A piece of tape on the motor shaft is helpful to use as a pointer to detect movement & direction.

fadelo

Joined Apr 12, 2011
Hello
finally, I got the required components for this circuit :

http://home.cogeco.ca/~rpaisley4/Unipolar.html

I connect it in a breadboard and I need a simple explanation about the + 5 on the doted line what does it mean? isn't it the +5 v from the Voltage regulator?? but how come it is connected to the input pin for the voltage regulator?

the thing is that I put the L7805CV in this sequence c3--Pin 1--Pin 2--Pin 3 -- D3

according to this circuit where should I put the 12 -24 volt dc and the +5 v ??

regards

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
The dotted line goes all the way around the circuit and indicates that the parts inside the line are part of the circuit and the parts outside the line are outside the circuit. Note that the only parts outside the dotted line are the stepper motor coils and a pot to control the step speed. The circles on the dotted line represent the screw terminals on the PCB.

fadelo

Joined Apr 12, 2011
The dotted line goes all the way around the circuit and indicates that the parts inside the line are part of the circuit and the parts outside the line are outside the circuit. Note that the only parts outside the dotted line are the stepper motor coils and a pot to control the step speed. The circles on the dotted line represent the screw terminals on the PCB.

OK Very well .. so what about the IC 4 could you plz detrmine what is the pin number that connected to D3 and the other pin is it 1-2-3 or 3-2-1 ?

and what about the + 5 v next the RT ? does I need 2 power supply at this circuit? to be 12-24 v AND 5 v ?

fadelo

Joined Apr 12, 2011
according to the circuit and the type of the stepper motor I short the white and yellow to the + and :

Terminal A goes for the blue wire of the stepper motor which is fed from pin 18 and 17
Terminal B goes for the black wire of the stepper motor which fed from pin 16 and 15
same for terminal C and D THEN short all terminal to Ground ??

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
OK Very well .. so what about the IC 4 could you plz detrmine what is the pin number that connected to D3 and the other pin is it 1-2-3 or 3-2-1 ?

and what about the + 5 v next the RT ? does I need 2 power supply at this circuit? to be 12-24 v AND 5 v ?
According to the parts list, IC 4 is a LM7805; you should get the datasheet for the LM7805 that you have and read it. On a regular LM7805 in a TO-220 case, the input pin is 1 and is connected in your schematic to the cathode of D3. Pin 2 goes to ground, and pin 3 is the 5V output. So, you don't need two power supplies; the LM7805 regulates the 12-24V input down to a 5V output.

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
according to the circuit and the type of the stepper motor I short the white and yellow to the + and :

Terminal A goes for the blue wire of the stepper motor which is fed from pin 18 and 17
Terminal B goes for the black wire of the stepper motor which fed from pin 16 and 15
same for terminal C and D ??
I have not studied the stepper motor that you have, and so I don't know what the wire colors represent, but in general, the above is correct. You should recheck the specifications for your motor to know which windings are connected to which wires. If you hook the windings up in the wrong order, the motor will not turn; it may just vibrate.

THEN short all terminal to Ground ??
No. Remember that the dotted line is not representing a wiring connection. It is only to show what parts of the circuit are on the PCB and what parts are off the PCB. There is no electrical connection between terminals A, B, C, and D, and they are not connected to ground or to anything except the correct outputs of IC 3.

There is a lot of good infomation at the link where the schematic is located. I think many of your questions would be answered by the written description of the project at that link. I know that you just want to get your motor turning as quickly as possible, but it would be worth your time to read the project description again. :)

Last edited: